Question

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I am stumped. I need suggestions on how to quit an agency job quickly yet with poise. I start my masters program this September, however, I am taking a little trip to Ireland before the start of the quarter. I guess what I am struggling with is do I tell the company the truth, that I will be starting grad school? Or make up an excuse? Or just resign without any notice since I am an at-will employee?

3 answers to this question

Tell them the truth, and do it sooner rather than later. Chances are they'll be happy for you.

Its highly recommended that you leave on good terms because the next time you apply for a job or an education program, they will very likely ask for a recommendation from this current job.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:30 PM, gangsterlicious_scholar said:

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I am stumped. I need suggestions on how to quit an agency job quickly yet with poise. I start my masters program this September, however, I am taking a little trip to Ireland before the start of the quarter. I guess what I am struggling with is do I tell the company the truth, that I will be starting grad school? Or make up an excuse? Or just resign without any notice since I am an at-will employee?

I don't think that making up an excuse or resigning without notice are the way to go if poise is your objective.

I think that what may work for you is to let them know with at least two weeks' notice that you're leaving to go to graduate school. In your remaining time at the firm, do what you can to finish up your work and to put your teammates in a position where your departure won't cause them undue stress.

Keep in mind that as an at will employee, they may show you the door as soon as you give them notice. If you're counting on that last pay check to help with your trip to Ireland, you will have to find a choice among what's best for your firm, what's best for your wallet, and what's best for your sense of poise.

Pie in the sky, your boss and your colleagues are happy for you, you spend your last days at work training your replacement, and you get a thoughtful gift on your last day.

But on the down side, some questions. Is it worth feeling like you did the right thing if doing so results in avoidable financial inconvenience? Is having that extra grip when you go to Ireland worth it if it comes at the expense of coworkers who trusted you as a colleague and a boss saying "I'll never hire someone who reminds me of (read: looks like) gangsterlicious_scholar again?"