Fall 2018 Applicants

samman1994

Hello everyone,

My story is similar to most, I came here as well recently looking for direction towards applying to PhD programs, and to help give myself some hope after a pitiful GRE performance. I recently graduated with a BS in Chemistry and plan to apply to any school who's research sounds interesting in protein Biochemistry (preferably something NMR or computationally related). Was hoping to aim for the top schools (Caltech, Berkley, etc.), but from the general concensus on here, it appears my chances are slim. I'd appreciate anybody with any advice on other schools with good Research programs in Biochemistry aside from the usual (Any UC, Caltech, or Berkley). My knowledge in schools is a little limited outside the west coast. Also would be willing to go outside US (Canada, UK), and even non-english speaking Universities (Japan, Korea, Europe). However my knowledge for that PhD process is even less than the US PhD process. So any help would be appreciated. 

Hello!

I'm not sure about research in protein Biochemistry, but the Department of Chemistry in the School of Science at the University of Tokyo offers a master's program and PhD program completely in English. All graduate-level courses are in English and many of the students have a very good command of English. The other departments in the School of Science are also quite good if you can only speak English but to my knowledge, their courses are in Japanese. I will include the link to their graduate-level admissions page: School of Science at The University of Tokyo 

The graduate-level programs in Japan work similarly to most of Europe's, where you must first get a master's degree and then you can apply for a PhD program and get a PhD.

Hi thank you for the reply. Yes it appears that almost all international programs outside of US all require a MA first before you get a PhD. Due to financial issues however, my only option is a PhD (the program gives you a stipend, whereas MA you pay everything yourself). But thank you for the reply!

I heard University of Wisconsin-Madison has a good biochemistry program, although I haven't personally looked into it. 

USC has a very encouraging joint chemistry/biochemistry department. 

To get a sense of other schools, you can always look into us news ranking for biochemistry graduate school. Don't feel too discouraged because of your GRE scores. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, ochemist94 said:

I heard University of Wisconsin-Madison has a good biochemistry program, although I haven't personally looked into it. 

USC has a very encouraging joint chemistry/biochemistry department. 

To get a sense of other schools, you can always look into us news ranking for biochemistry graduate school. Don't feel too discouraged because of your GRE scores. Good luck!

Hello,

Both those schools actually do have very good biochemistry programs. Interesting enough, found out for the stuff I'm specifically looking for, the more popular schools with good Biochem programs (Berkley, Caltech, etc.) don't actually really have much of what i"m interested in, but schools like university of Wisconsin, or university of north carolina or conneticut, have really good programs for me. 

2 hours ago, someth1ngAus said:

Australia doesn't require a master's to do a PhD. I definitely know some people doing proteins and peptides stuff at the University of Sydney.

Oh sweet, I'll look into schools there too! Any other schools to reccomend in general, aside from University of Sydney? I know nothing about Australian Universities, and I've actually never seen any papers from there either. 

Edited by samman1994

On 8/25/2017 at 0:22 AM, samman1994 said:

Hello,

Both those schools actually do have very good biochemistry programs. Interesting enough, found out for the stuff I'm specifically looking for, the more popular schools with good Biochem programs (Berkley, Caltech, etc.) don't actually really have much of what i"m interested in, but schools like university of Wisconsin, or university of north carolina or conneticut, have really good programs for me. 

By connecticut do you mean UConn? If so, there's definitely a chance you can get in. If your GPA isn't under a 3.0 and you can retake the GRE you should be fine.  

I did an REU there and was able to get some of the inside scoop for the application process! It isn't a WOW school but it does take its research super seriously. I wanted to apply there but I wasn't interested in being in storrs for 5 years plus the projects didn't interest me that much.

2 hours ago, materialsgirl said:

By connecticut do you mean UConn? If so, there's definitely a chance you can get in. If your GPA isn't under a 3.0 and you can retake the GRE you should be fine.  

I did an REU there and was able to get some of the inside scoop for the application process! It isn't a WOW school but it does take its research super seriously. I wanted to apply there but I wasn't interested in being in storrs for 5 years plus the projects didn't interest me that much.

Yeah I talked to my PI, and she personally knows the POIs that Id want to join, so she said I have a really good chance at that school. She also said the department I'm looking for is in their school of medicine department (and this is more of a biophysical lab), so she said most of the students there either have a very poor biophysical background, or don't even want to pursue that avenue, so they are definitely looking for people interested and proficient (relatively speaking in the field). So she told me I should be good in regards to those schools. 

• 3 months later...

Hi!  I just wanted to reach out to all Fall 2018 PhD Chemistry applicants.  This thread is for discussion on contacts for interviews, acceptance, etc.  My deadlines are in January and February so I am anxiously waiting.....I am a PhD Chemistry 2018 applicant in Analytical/Forensic track.

i want your view about my possibilities of admission.

- Bachelor of Chemistry in 2006 ( percentage 74.41% )

-Master of Chemistry in 2008 ( percentage 69.7% )

- 9 year teaching experience in Chemistry 

- english : Toefl (90)

- GRE : 308 (quantitative : 161 , verbal : 147) , AW : 3

-GRE Chemistry-71 percentile

- NET-JRF qualified in 2009

- Research experience :N.A.

- many activities in college : student union scientific committee Co-head and other positions.

School applied to : 

Florida state university

Stony Brook University

University of Iowa

Michigan Technological University

University of Florida

Purdue University—West Lafayette 

Case Western Reserve University

Tulane University

Colorado State University

University of Connecticut

Wayne State University

Carleton University

University of Ottawa

University of Victoria

University of Western Ontario

York University

Concordia University

Your advises and ideas please ? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi every body! I am new in gradcafe  and Thanks God you are here to help me calm down! I have applied 7 PhD program in Chemistry and Bio medicine but no result! ( Purdue, Pitts, Northeastern, Rutgers, ESF, UIC(Medicinal Chemistry) and Cleveland state uni!

I see people get interview email or skype email and it is really disappointing!!!I am international,Should I wait more or this mean I don't have chance to get position?

20 hours ago, NasrinGavidel said:

Hi every body! I am new in gradcafe  and Thanks God you are here to help me calm down! I have applied 7 PhD program in Chemistry and Bio medicine but no result! ( Purdue, Pitts, Northeastern, Rutgers, ESF, UIC(Medicinal Chemistry) and Cleveland state uni!

I see people get interview email or skype email and it is really disappointing!!!I am international,Should I wait more or this mean I don't have chance to get position?

A lot of universities handle international applicants slightly after others - and Im not sure any university has finished sending offers out. If you havent heard anything, dont lose hope!

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2017 at 8:58 AM, Arun Singla said:

i want your view about my possibilities of admission.

- Bachelor of Chemistry in 2006 ( percentage 74.41% )

-Master of Chemistry in 2008 ( percentage 69.7% )

- 9 year teaching experience in Chemistry 

- english : Toefl (90)

- GRE : 308 (quantitative : 161 , verbal : 147) , AW : 3

-GRE Chemistry-71 percentile

- NET-JRF qualified in 2009

- Research experience :N.A.

- many activities in college : student union scientific committee Co-head and other positions.

School applied to : 

Florida state university

Stony Brook University

University of Iowa

Michigan Technological University

University of Florida

Purdue University—West Lafayette 

Case Western Reserve University

Tulane University

Colorado State University

University of Connecticut

Wayne State University

Carleton University

University of Ottawa

University of Victoria

University of Western Ontario

York University

Concordia University

Your advises and ideas please ? 

Did you hear anything from York?

• 5 weeks later...

Did you guys refresh material from undergrad over the summer before starting your phd? If so, what did you/are you planning on doing? It's been a year since I took an orgo class, but I'm planning on doing an organic phd in the fall.