What to do when you score Low on your GRE

samman1994

This is a personal problem I had about a week ago, that I feel like many might be able to relate, and thought they might find useful. 

So you've been studying (or not studying, and think you know it) for the GRE all week (or month), and are ready to take it. You go in, you get jitters, mind farts, hard sections, regardless, things don't go as planned. You get your score, and they're (or its) bad. Not oh I wanted a 163 I got a 160 bad, but moreso: "I wanted a 160 and I got a 148 bad". Now in my scenario, I also had a relatively weak GPA too. So a bunch of things start running through your mind, am I screwed? Am I an idiot? Maybe I'm not ready for a PhD or MA program? Maybe this is evidence higher education programs aren't for me? Maybe I should lower my standards? There goes top schools in the country, here comes State University of Alabama (not bashing on State Universities or Alabama, SU Alabama might actually be a very good school). Point being, crippling depression and grief come upon you as you start to question your future, your capabilities, and your intellect.

I wanted to create this post, as a feels good, life isn't over section. I've done a couple of research the past week, and have come to a few conclusions, that I feel may help people out. 

1) There are many schools that have amazing programs that are outside of the "famous" top schools in the country. Just because you can't go to Harvard or Yale doesn't mean its all over. You might be surprised to find a lot of lesser known schools that are more lenient (at least in regards to the GRE), but still have great programs.  

2) The GRE is not a representation of your academic ability, intellect, or how well you will do in a PhD program. Just because you did bad on the test, does not mean you're an idiot, or you're going to do bad in whatever program you plan to pursue in the future. 

3) You aren't alone. If there is one thing I have learned the week, it's a lot of people don't do amazing their first time. Nor are your feelings for doing bad, I think its safe to say, getting a low score on the GRE brings down everyones self confidence, in themselves, and their application. 

Anyways, I'm sure there are a lot more, but these are the things that helped me the most. I was hoping we could get a feels good thread going, statements to help people feel better or get out of that immediate, " I failed the GRE, I'm a failure" spiral. Hope this helps anyone else taking their GRE in the next couple of weeks/months!

Edited by samman1994