What can you do with a BA in poverty?

As some may know, this has been a pretty disastrous month for me.

Apart from some tragic events in my family, I've also had to face rejection from my favorite schools. Now that the initial shock's over, I'm finding myself at a complete loss.

What do I do if I not grad school?

I know I should have thought of this earlier, but as many other naive undergrads falling under the "department darling" label, I let myself be blinded by my profs' hyperbolic assertions in my merit (they're sweet people and praise is nice, but in this case I really wish someone had given me a reality check!!).

Anyways, I am now in a situation where I am about to graduate and need to find a way to financially support myself with a very impractical BA (French/English Lit).

I have no savings and no family I can use as a "buffer". Any suggestions?

Apart from some tragic events in my family, I've also had to face rejection from my favorite schools. Now that the initial shock's over, I'm finding myself at a complete loss.

I know I should have thought of this earlier, but as many other naive undergrads falling under the "department darling" label, I let myself be blinded by my profs' hyperbolic assertions in my merit (they're sweet people and praise is nice, but in this case I really wish someone had given me a reality check!!).

Anyways, I am now in a situation where I am about to graduate and need to find a way to financially support myself with a very impractical BA (French/English Lit).

I was in just your situation this year. I graduated after my grad school apps didn't work out. I got a part time job (and luckily lived for free with a family I was friends with) over the summer. I then acquired a series of Craigslist jobs as I finished my apps and moved out on my own. The process of working and having to provide for your self is very educational, and I actually recommend it. It will be hard, but I think you will learn a lot. And, if you so choose to re-apply, I think you will find that your apps are easier to make stellar when you aren't burdened by course work in the evenings. Actually, you might enjoy living in the "real world." It took me 8 months to find, but my current job is very nice. It's nice enough to consider keeping over school. It just takes time and trial and error to find something like that.

Also, I'd recommend staying close to your friends, not moving in with parents, finding cheap rent (even if it means living in a bad neighborhood or a rural area), and signing up for food stamps (food stamps are the best).

You can always go abroad and teach English for a while. One of my friends, non-native speaker mind you, who got her BA in English language and lit, got a TEFL certificate and just went to Istanbul (Turkey) about four months after graduating. She found a job at a language school rather quickly and has been doing just fine there (she left in November last year). I'm sure that you, especially as a native speaker (I'm assuming you are), could do the same thing.

Edited by dant.gwyrdd

On 2/18/2010 at 9:47 AM, melusine said:

Let me just be firm about this up front: a BA in English (or in any language) is not impractical at all, despite what business and engineering majors would like to tell you. Aside from clearly related jobs like teaching (as Dant points out: do not underestimate the cache English fluency!) you need to know how to write and edit in almost every business or office-type job. I graduated with a BA in English and a minor in Women's/Gender Studies. Useless, right? Nope! In one of my current jobs, I work as a receptionist; they took me on for this position, even knowing up front that I would be leaving in less than a year for graduate school, precisely because of my editing and writing skills. Everyone wants at least one person in the office who knows how to use English properly, even if she's the receptionist! I do as much editing as mail-sorting. My first "real" (read: benefits-paying!) job out of undergrad, which was quite a fancy-pants position, was at a large financial institution. They LOVED that I had a BA in English because I knew how to edit and how to write. They had previously taken on business majors who were crappy in that position because it really had nothing to do with actual financial know-how and everything to do with [technical] editing. Every office job I've ever had I've probably gotten because of my mad editing skills, in fact. And, if they hadn't made me want to pull my own hair out I would be well on my way to a promising and successful career in the finance industry right now. The fact is that now that undergraduate degrees are becoming more specialized and fewer students are required to take writing intensive classes, fewer and fewer people on the market know how to write or know grammar or style rules at all. As a result, very unprofessional documents and texts are often produced by the "professional" sector. If you have a degree in, say, English, it is assumed that you know how to write and edit. Even if you don't have hard editing experience on your resume, as I was lucky enough to have coming out of undergrad, you still have the skills. A BA in English IS a marketable degree. Still, you must present it to potential employers as such, which means that you must figure out WHY it is and convince yourself of its relevance. This is not to mention that your language skills will also be a real asset.

I'm really sorry that you're having a hard time and are feeling disappointed, and my heart goes out to you and your family. But, it's not over yet. I have faith in your applications! And, I assure you that no matter the outcome of this season, you can make it work.

I was in just your situation this year. I graduated after my grad school apps didn't work out. I got a part time job (and luckily lived for free with a family I was friends with) over the summer. I then acquired a series of Craigslist jobs as I finished my apps and moved out on my own. The process of working and having to provide for your self is very educational, and I actually recommend it. It will be hard, but I think you will learn a lot. And, if you so choose to re-apply, I think you will find that your apps are easier to make stellar when you aren't burdened by course work in the evenings. Actually, you might enjoy living in the "real world." It took me 8 months to find, but my current job is very nice. It's nice enough to consider keeping over school. It just takes time and trial and error to find something like that.

Also, I'd recommend staying close to your friends, not moving in with parents, finding cheap rent (even if it means living in a bad neighborhood or a rural area), and signing up for food stamps (food stamps are the best).

Thank you for your advice. I'm sure it was well meant, but that's not really what I was asking for.

I've been living on my own for a while, and have supported myself through undergrad (fully funded by scholarships) by working three part time jobs, doing small craigslist gigs, etc..

I unfortunately have no satisfaction whatsoever collecting food stamps and other "real world" phenomena seeing as they have been a very concrete part of my everyday reality for a while.

As I said, I have no family to move "back in" with. So I was really really hoping for grad school as not only my intellectual dream but also, as my ticket out of the state of suspended destitution I've been living in these last three or four years.

I know that, most realistically, I will just have to continue what I'm doing (+job number 4, - nice student housing). It's just really not the most joyful prospect. Especially if that is to be my situation for the next x years..

PS: I'm not a native speaker. English is my third language but I cannot go back to my home country for a variety of (serious) reasons.

Edited by melusine

Why don't you try looking for funded Post-Bac programs. Currently, I know of one, which is at UPitt and is called the "Hot Metal Bridge Program." Students who are admitted are fully funded (on fellowship), and it sounds like a really nice, supportive program. You also take graduate courses, which can be used towards your future graduate work. This option could give you the type of opportunity you are looking for, while also allowing you time to work on apps for next season. I really hope this helps!!! The weblink for Pitt's program (in case you are interested) is http://www.as.pitt.edu/graduate/diversity/hotmetal.php.

Let me just be firm about this up front: a BA in English (or in any language) is not impractical at all, despite what business and engineering majors would like to tell you. Aside from clearly related jobs like teaching (as Dant points out: do not underestimate the cache English fluency!) you need to know how to write and edit in almost every business or office-type job.

First, melusine, I'm so sorry that you've had a rough go of the application process.unsure.gif I haven't heard anything yet and am fearing the same. But... I totally agree with Pamphilia. A colleague (who is also trying to get into an English PhD program) and I work at the same law firm. I've worked in law firms for 15 years. Lawyers LOVE having assistants, paralegals, litigation assistants, and clerks who know all the tricks for word processing programs, can spell well, have excellent punctuation and grammar, and are bright enough to understand the legal side of things too. Also, law firms can be a very lucrative and comfortable place to work. I love all three of the attorneys I work with. They're great guys and I feel valued every day. I'm not just a glorified typist. In most cities, there are placement companies that the larger firms work through. You could find one, get your resume spruced up and throw your hat in the ring for a number of jobs. Plus, the legal field is pretty job secure. Even with the bad economy, people will always sue each other. Yes, that's very Macchiavellian, but true. Might as well take advantage while you give grad school apps another try next year. You might be surprised at how much you could make. For almost a decade, my husband was able to be the stay-at-home dad, and I was the sole provider for the family. So... All is not lost. You can try again. And you have many, many options.

Best wishes to you,

~ m

Edited by minnares

*hugs* I'm so, so sorry. However, please know that you really can't read too much into one unsuccessful round (if this round doesn't work out for you). Applying successfully straight out of college is quite rare. Because the ad-comm is making decisions based on 3 years worth of coursework rather than 4 (and most students seem to "grow" the most during the last year), you're at a huge disadvantage. MANY current grad students were turned down across the board once (or twice) then successfully reapplied after a year or two off.

To address the more practical side of your question...have you considered things like "Teach for America" or AmeriCorp? Or even working for the "evil" (yes, they are evil) testprep companies? When I graduated, I took off across the country, slept on a friend's couch for a few weeks. I worked in a retail store over the holidays, and then for a testprep company (summers tend to busy for them). If you did well on the GRE's, you can put that to use...though (this probably goes without saying) that sort of teaching won't be very productive for your CV.

After I got my Master's, I wanted to take some time off. I went abroad to teach English in Korea, and it's been one of the best experiences in my life. If you have any questions about it, just let me know.

R

Adding my hugs to everyone else's - so sorry you've been having a tough month.

But I will second Pamphilia and Minnares: having a BA in English/French is NOT useless. First - you can land translating gigs (English-French or vice versa). You can teach ESL just about anywhere in the world (China and Japan are always looking for English teachers). You can get an awesome executive assistant position (I did even before I graduated). A firm I worked for in NYC had a policy of hiring humanities graduates for their Analyst positions because "You can teach the business part on the job, but you can't teach how to THINK on the job" (in their words). Every single analyst assistant was a humanities major - some English, some History, some French. NONE came out of business school. All of them were on the track to becoming analysts (this was a hedge fund).

Another option is looking for teaching positions in private / charter schools. Many of them are so hungry for good people that they waive the teaching credentials / MAT requirement. Since you also know French, you can teach both. I've been looking into doing just that (but now landed a job here, so am just waiting for next year's application round).

If you have really good writing, and a good grasp of technology, you can try to break into the Technical Writing field (that's what I do). It's really good money, and if you like that sort of thing, it's also very rewarding.

In short, there is a great deal you can do. Be optimistic, do the best you can do, and try again next year. Apply for ANYTHING that you think you may be qualified for. You may be surprised how far good writing skills can get you (especially in two languages...)

Massive hugs!

agreed for myself. that is all.

Adding my hugs to everyone else's - so sorry you've been having a tough month.

But I will second Pamphilia and Minnares: having a BA in English/French is NOT useless. First - you can land translating gigs (English-French or vice versa). You can teach ESL just about anywhere in the world (China and Japan are always looking for English teachers). You can get an awesome executive assistant position (I did even before I graduated). A firm I worked for in NYC had a policy of hiring humanities graduates for their Analyst positions because "You can teach the business part on the job, but you can't teach how to THINK on the job" (in their words). Every single analyst assistant was a humanities major - some English, some History, some French. NONE came out of business school. All of them were on the track to becoming analysts (this was a hedge fund).

Another option is looking for teaching positions in private / charter schools. Many of them are so hungry for good people that they waive the teaching credentials / MAT requirement. Since you also know French, you can teach both. I've been looking into doing just that (but now landed a job here, so am just waiting for next year's application round).

If you have really good writing, and a good grasp of technology, you can try to break into the Technical Writing field (that's what I do). It's really good money, and if you like that sort of thing, it's also very rewarding.

In short, there is a great deal you can do. Be optimistic, do the best you can do, and try again next year. Apply for ANYTHING that you think you may be qualified for. You may be surprised how far good writing skills can get you (especially in two languages...)

Massive hugs!

I'm currently considering technical writing. Do you have any advice for someone trying to get into it?

R

I'm currently considering technical writing. Do you have any advice for someone trying to get into it?

R

Hey Shepherd,

There are a few paths - certificate programs (there are a few decent ones online), applying to ALL jobs that don't require too much experience except "good English writing skills" (I was lucky - that's how I got into the field - got hired as a translator for specification papers, and then remained to continue documenting the software), and there are also a few tech writing degrees out there (I'd say they were pretty unnecessary, others may not agree with me).

Of course - make sure that you have a GOOD vibe with techie stuff. I used to be a network admin a few years ago, so I had the background. But you have to understand technical terminology and how to write it. Read a lot of Microsoft's help books. Technical writing has a certain style, or art to it.

create a GREAT writing sample. Take a piece of software, and write a User Manual for a particular module / operation. Create a good template, insert screenshots, tips, etc. Get someone to proofread it, and use it to sell your writing when applying for jobs :)

(hope this helped - I'm a tech writer in Israel, so I know the market here - also not many fluent english writers here - I know a BIT about tech writer's in the states, but not a whole lot)

Hey Shepherd,

There are a few paths - certificate programs (there are a few decent ones online), applying to ALL jobs that don't require too much experience except "good English writing skills" (I was lucky - that's how I got into the field - got hired as a translator for specification papers, and then remained to continue documenting the software), and there are also a few tech writing degrees out there (I'd say they were pretty unnecessary, others may not agree with me).

Of course - make sure that you have a GOOD vibe with techie stuff. I used to be a network admin a few years ago, so I had the background. But you have to understand technical terminology and how to write it. Read a lot of Microsoft's help books. Technical writing has a certain style, or art to it.

create a GREAT writing sample. Take a piece of software, and write a User Manual for a particular module / operation. Create a good template, insert screenshots, tips, etc. Get someone to proofread it, and use it to sell your writing when applying for jobs :)

(hope this helped - I'm a tech writer in Israel, so I know the market here - also not many fluent english writers here - I know a BIT about tech writer's in the states, but not a whole lot)

Thanks for the help :)

R