Top Econ PhD: GRE AW 4.5 too low?

glows

I just got my GRE scores: AW 4.5, V 170, Q 170.

I feel a bit bad about my writing score. The other two measures are great obviously, and the V much better than I expected. I will apply for a Econ PhD this fall, and aim at the top 10-15. I know it's tough to get accepted, but my GPA is strong and so are my letters. I'm only concerned about my writing score. Do you think I should retake the GRE? By doing so I'll most likely spoil my perfect scores in the other two sections.

Fyi: I'm an international applicant. Not sure if this makes any difference...

• 2 weeks later...

It won't matter. If they cared about your writing ability they would look to your statement of purpose, but most Econ programs very rarely even read them, at least according to a committee member at UT. All they really care about is that Quant score, which will get you through the first round.  

On 8/26/2017 at 5:40 AM, DGrayson said:

It won't matter. If they cared about your writing ability they would look to your statement of purpose, but most Econ programs very rarely even read them, at least according to a committee member at UT. All they really care about is that Quant score, which will get you through the first round.  

Do you mean to say that the Statement of Purpose is not very important for PhD economics programs?

13 hours ago, ice123 said:

Do you mean to say that the Statement of Purpose is not very important for PhD economics programs?

From what I've been told no. When I was at UT, a faculty member that was on the admissions committee basically said that they didn't read it. I wouldn't completely blow it off and not do it, but I don't think it needs to be the main focus of your application. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/4/2017 at 1:25 AM, DGrayson said:

From what I've been told no. When I was at UT, a faculty member that was on the admissions committee basically said that they didn't read it. I wouldn't completely blow it off and not do it, but I don't think it needs to be the main focus of your application. 

What part of the application should be the main focus?