New York Graduate Schools

I'm applying to a majority of schools in New York and New York City, and I wanted to know if anyone has any insight on these programs? For example have you applied there, interviewed there, current graduate student or are currently applying there for the Fall of 2018 application cycle. Any information helps because I want to narrow my list of schools down to less schools. Thanks! 

Graduate Programs: 

St Johns University 

NYU 

Columbia Teachers College 

Molloy

Hofstra

Adelphi University (Garden City vs Manhattan campus/ sunday program) 

CUNY Hunter 

CUNY Brooklyn

CUNY Lehman 

Iona College 

LIU Post 

New York  Medical College 

SUNY New Paltz 

Mercy College 

• 2 weeks later...
On August 19, 2017 at 8:17 AM, slpgirl898 said:

I'm applying to a majority of schools in New York and New York City, and I wanted to know if anyone has any insight on these programs? For example have you applied there, interviewed there, current graduate student or are currently applying there for the Fall of 2018 application cycle. Any information helps because I want to narrow my list of schools down to less schools. Thanks! 

Graduate Programs: 

St Johns University 

NYU 

Molloy

Hofstra

CUNY Hunter 

CUNY Brooklyn

CUNY Lehman 

Iona College 

LIU Post 

SUNY New Paltz 

Mercy College 

I will be attending Mercy in the fall but I did apply to NY Medical College, all I can say is if you're primarily interested in working in a school with children, that will likely not be the program for you.  It is solely medically based and I do not believe (not 100% sure) that they provide you with any help getting your TSSLD (what you need to work in a school setting with NY state).  But if you are leaning towards a medically based career, definitely the place for you!  Keep in mind that any program in NY state is extremely selective and they get so many applications for 30-50 seats (if that) so sometimes it's good to also apply to lesser known programs as "safeties".

My advise would be to get your applications in early to lessen the stress on you.  For your statement of purpose or personal statements always answer all their questions/prompts if they give you any and if not, stick with what you're passionate about in a straight-foward manner.

Good luck!

21 hours ago, Mary93 said:

I will be attending Mercy in the fall but I did apply to NY Medical College, all I can say is if you're primarily interested in working in a school with children, that will likely not be the program for you.  It is solely medically based and I do not believe (not 100% sure) that they provide you with any help getting your TSSLD (what you need to work in a school setting with NY state).  But if you are leaning towards a medically based career, definitely the place for you!  Keep in mind that any program in NY state is extremely selective and they get so many applications for 30-50 seats (if that) so sometimes it's good to also apply to lesser known programs as "safeties".

My advise would be to get your applications in early to lessen the stress on you.  For your statement of purpose or personal statements always answer all their questions/prompts if they give you any and if not, stick with what you're passionate about in a straight-foward manner.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Good luck with the start to your program at Mercy

• 5 weeks later...

I applied to SUNY New Paltz, New Medical College and CUNY Hunter. CUNY Hunter's application fee was so expensive when I applied. Not sure if its still that way but it was $125!! From my experience it is extremely difficult to get into a New York grad school program. It is really competitive which is why I had better luck applying out of state. Was accepted into 3 schools out of state. 

3 hours ago, Murr57 said:

I applied and attend SUNY New Paltz now! I also applied and was accepted to Adelphi, Molloy, SUNY Plattsburgh, LIU Brooklyn, and Iona. I was denied from SUNY Cortland. 

Adelphi is crazy expensive... I only would have gone there if I didnt get in anywhere else. I know someone who went to Iona and since the program is so new, I've been told its not that good and still working out a lot of kinks. They also had applicants make a 2 min video of themselves instead of submitting an essay, which was not fun lol. LIU Brooklyn's program is apparently under probation and I'm not quite sure why... but they kept emailing me throughout the summer asking if I was interested in their program so I'm assuming they had trouble filling seats. Molloy's program seemed really good... small cohort, good professors. That was my first interview, but I got wait listed and then didn't get accepted till June or something. I really loved SUNY Plattsburgh too. Their cohort is also small and they were my first acceptance. But aside for the fact that its so far upstate, I really enjoyed every aspect of the program. SUNY New Paltz was my top school though and the program is great so far!! I couldn't be happier. 

I avoided applying to all of the CUNY's because their acceptance rate is so low. I've heard good things about Hunter though! I also applied to NYMC but found out shortly after that I was missing prereqs even though their website said otherwise... and then their director was quite rude to me via email. So, I'm not too crazy about that school. I'm sure the program is great though, also super expensive.

Apply smart! Just use ASHA edfind and compare your stats with other schools stats, thats what I did. I didn't think I'd get in anywhere and then I ended up getting into my top school! 

Thats all really helpful thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 8:17 AM, slpgirl898 said:

Graduate Programs: 

St Johns University 

NYU 

Molloy

Hofstra

CUNY Hunter 

CUNY Brooklyn

CUNY Lehman 

Iona College 

LIU Post 

SUNY New Paltz 

Mercy College 

I applied to LIU Post, Molloy, and Hofstra.  I interviewed at both LIU Post and Molloy (I did a phone interview for Molloy).  The LIU Post interview was really about getting to know you, as well as for you to share some of your experiences with why you want to be an SLP, and about observation experience.  If you got below a 4.0 on the writing, they had you do a writing sample there.  Molloy's interview was really short.  I think it was just about why you chose to apply to Molloy, and why you wanted to be an SLP.  They make everyone do a short writing sample.  I was able to do mine via email. 

When I went to Hofstra's open house, I loved the program.  I know they start their graduate students with clients right away (I think at LIU you don't start with clients until 2nd semester, but not positive).  The girl who gave me a tour of the clinic could not have better things to say about their program.  I initially put in a deposit before I heard back from the graduate school I'm currently attending!

Good luck :) 

5 hours ago, speechie95 said:

I applied to LIU Post, Molloy, and Hofstra.  I interviewed at both LIU Post and Molloy (I did a phone interview for Molloy).  The LIU Post interview was really about getting to know you, as well as for you to share some of your experiences with why you want to be an SLP, and about observation experience.  If you got below a 4.0 on the writing, they had you do a writing sample there.  Molloy's interview was really short.  I think it was just about why you chose to apply to Molloy, and why you wanted to be an SLP.  They make everyone do a short writing sample.  I was able to do mine via email. 

When I went to Hofstra's open house, I loved the program.  I know they start their graduate students with clients right away (I think at LIU you don't start with clients until 2nd semester, but not positive).  The girl who gave me a tour of the clinic could not have better things to say about their program.  I initially put in a deposit before I heard back from the graduate school I'm currently attending!

Good luck :) 

Thank you that was all really helpful! Question how do you like the program at Hofstra?

On 10/23/2017 at 8:36 PM, slpgirl898 said:

Thank you that was all really helpful! Question how do you like the program at Hofstra?

I'm actually attending Queens College right now, not Hofstra. But when I went Hofstra's open house, it seemed like the girls in the program were really close, and that it was a supportive environment!

On 8/19/2017 at 8:17 AM, slpgirl898 said:

Graduate Programs: 

St Johns University 

NYU 

Molloy

Hofstra

CUNY Hunter 

CUNY Brooklyn

CUNY Lehman 

Iona College 

LIU Post 

SUNY New Paltz 

Mercy College 

7 hours ago, psuspeechie said:

I am also interested in applying to some of these schools! Would you mind sharing your stats for those accepted to these programs??

You guys should also look into Yeshiva University MS SLP. They have a great Med SLP program. https://www.yu.edu/katz/programs/graduate/ms-slp/admission-tution I think the admissions I emailed was katzgrad@yu.edu