Can 3.5 AW score hurt?

meteora

HI, 

I just received my GRE scores. I had 164/165/3.5. Should I retake GRE, because of the low AW score? I read the results thread in this forum and found that there were few accepted students who had 3.5 AW score. 

Edited by meteora

Hi! I recently got my GRE scores too and I have a 4.0 in AWA. As far as I know, professors who read the applications do not care much about the AWA score but I think 3.5 might hurt your chances. I read in couple places that 4.0 is the threshold but there are always exceptions. If you think you have a strong profile and can be an exception, don't take it. However, if I were you, I would not leave it to chance and retake the test. Your scores for other sections are fantastic by the way. 

Your Quant and Verbal GRE scores are very good. Remember, your SOP and WS are also examples of your writing ability. Try to make these both shine if you don't want to retake. Hopefully your letter writers are able to testify to your writing ability, as well.

I appreciate your answers. 

Based on your advice, I think it is wise to retake the test. I believe that my command of English is not as good as most American students'. In this case, I think I have to receive 4.0 score at least. 

@izmir Could you tell me what departments set their minimum AWA score as 4.0? I am just curious. 

@meteora I just checked their websites again and realized that only Emory directly said "Minimum qualifications for admission include GRE scores at or above the fiftieth percentile on all three portions of the exam..." but other schools like Boston University said unless you score 5.0 or higher, your chances are minimal (I wasn't gonna apply there anyways :) ) Duke set it as 3.5 or above. Long story short, there are only a few schools that said they have cutoffs. If you are not aiming for those schools and feel that other components of your application, like your Writing Sample, are really strong, don't retake the test. You are the one who would know the best for you. Good luck  ?  

From what I've heard, it seems to be common practice for admissions committees to discount international applicants' verbal/AW scores. Those portions of the test simply rely on a lifelong immersion in / mastery of the English language, which gives domestic applicants a significant advantage - knowing this, many programs will look elsewhere for proof that you can communicate well in written English. Seeing as your verbal and quant scores are very good, I would probably advise against a retake. Spend that time polishing your writing sample and SOP instead.

23 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

From what I've heard, it seems to be common practice for admissions committees to discount international applicants' verbal/AW scores. Those portions of the test simply rely on a lifelong immersion in / mastery of the English language, which gives domestic applicants a significant advantage - knowing this, many programs will look elsewhere for proof that you can communicate well in written English. Seeing as your verbal and quant scores are very good, I would probably advise against a retake. Spend that time polishing your writing sample and SOP instead.

I appreciate your cordial answer.