University of Tokyo EE Masters program.

Zelinusa

Hi everyone :) First post.

I am senior EE undergrad student specialized in photonics, currently in the process of looking for graduate programs (mainly masters programs) to apply to next year. I recently came across the MONBUKAGAKUSHO:MEXT scholarship and am very interested in pursuing a masters degree from the University of Tokyo.

My problem is that I can't find much information about the structure of the EE masters program at U.Tokyo online, or at least not in English. I have read somewhere (one of the few scraps of info I've come across) that it is very research based, with almost no taught component (courses). Is this true? 

And does anyone have any information on the program (Tokyo EE masters) in general? Is anyone here currently enrolled in the University of Tokyo  (in any grad or masters program)? Any info or useful links?

• 2 months later...

Hi I am in Mech. Eng in Univ. of Tokyo now. I know, many foreign students complain about low amount of info in English.
In Japan, students take a lot of classes in undergraduate time, so the graduate course relatively focuses on research . But it depends on the department. 
Students have to submit a Master's thesis before the graduation. 

In Japan, if you want to go to Ph.D course, you are required to have Mater's degree. And for not-asian students, getting into Ph.D. of Univ. of Tokyo is much easier than getting into Master's, since the examination of master's course is paper-based, which is not familiar with non-asian students.

• 3 weeks later...

You would have to write the entrance examination, in addition to all the steps of obtaining MEXT.

If you can make it through all the rounds though, the security is unmatched -- the scholarship continues for the duration of your studies in Japan and is automatically extended if you move on from MA to PhD. Moreover, you are given up two years as a 'research student' to prepare for those entrance exams while taking advantage of affiliation with that institution.

I would add to @hirosh's post that an 'in' with your prof can help big time on the entrance process. At another national university, for example, the interview provides a great opportunity to make your case to your supervisor and a few other faculty members. This might allow you to make up for a weak showing on paper. It's all about who you know.

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, hirosh said:

Hi I am in Mech. Eng in Univ. of Tokyo now. I know, many foreign students complain about low amount of info in English.
In Japan, students take a lot of classes in undergraduate time, so the graduate course relatively focuses on research . But it depends on the department. 
Students have to submit a Master's thesis before the graduation. 

In Japan, if you want to go to Ph.D course, you are required to have Mater's degree. And for not-asian students, getting into Ph.D. of Univ. of Tokyo is much easier than getting into Master's, since the examination of master's course is paper-based, which is not familiar with non-asian students.

Thanks for the reply. 

So you would suggest going for a PhD there instead? Why is the entrance exam seen as 'difficult' for non-Asian students? Is it in Japanese? Or do you mean it is relatively difficult to pass?

Are the courses in English for your department? Or should the MS program be seen as a 'pure research' program as there are only a few English language courses?

Also, are you there on the MONBUKAGAKUSHO:MEXT scholarship?  Or via the IME program?

Thanks once again for your reply and for your time.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:14 AM, hojoojoh said:

If you can make it through all the rounds though, the security is unmatched -- the scholarship continues for the duration of your studies in Japan and is automatically extended if you move on from MA to PhD. Moreover, you are given up two years as a 'research student' to prepare for those entrance exams while taking advantage of affiliation with that institution.

Thanks for replying.

Does that mean I effectively have 4 years to conduct research (research student 2 yrs + MS) ?