I flunked the GRE

ac95

In a post from two months ago, I claimed that I could probably score between a 157-160 on both sections of the GRE (though I'm aiming as high as possible). I was never a strong standardized test taker, but after around six weeks of studying and scoring around 320 on my practice tests (on my most recent practice test, I scored a 158 on both sections), I felt confident that I could score around a 320.

On the actual test, I flunked and scored a 152 V, 155 Q, and 5.0 AW. To put this in perspective, the first practice test I took before I started studying, I got a 152 V, 153 Q. I know I can score around a 160 on both sections of the actual test, and I attributed a great deal (though not all) of my poor score to nerves. I read articles regarding test-taking strategies to ameliorate any nervousness I might have the day of the test, but unfortunately, my score speaks for itself.

I'm looking for advice from people who have recently taken the GRE and might be/have been in similar situations. Has anyone else flunked their first time taking the GRE? What is the best approach to studying? I've been mainly self-teaching and have considered signing up for Kaplan's online test-prep. Is it worth the cost? I would really appreciate it!

Hi,

I took my GRE almost 2 weeks ago, and got all my results back a few days ago.

I did self study for 5 weeks before I took the exam.

My study strategy was using the manhattan prep (i just bought online books and used my kindle on phone/ipad/mac for portability). For verbal, I used the manhattan prep advanced/essential vocabs & strategies for verbal Qs, and for quant, I selected manhattan prep books depending on my weakness, but with hindsight would've bought them all. 

I took around 7 mock tests (2 free from the ets website and bought 5 on manhattan prep). I found that these tests really reflected the real test.

Throughout the 7 mock tests, I gradually improved from late 150s to early 160s, but I did find it frustrating how little my scores improved over my 5 weeks of study. Although it is a short time to improve drastically, I studied quite diligently before and after work everyday approx. 3 hrs/day.

However, learning the verbal words & strategies, I became very confident in verbal. I found that to improve in quantitative, I would need a couple more weeks of study in my area of weakness.

In my test, I got 167 (98%) verbal & 160 (76%) quant & 4.5 (82%) writing.

I didn't train separately for writing, and only practiced during the practice tests. I'm hoping that my high verbal scores & a good SOP will cover for it. I'm disappointed with my quantitative, but I think that 5 weeks is just too little time to up my scores and I performed a little worse on the day :(. I got lucky with verbal and will probably stick with these scores as I cannot bear to do any more studying!

I understand your frustration. I'm not sure what your strategy has been, but I'd say for verbal, just learn those vocabs (I looked at the vocabs almost every night 10 minutes before sleep) & the strategies in the manhattan prep (these really helped!). For quant, work on those areas you're most weak in. Wish you all the best, good luck!

3 minutes ago, csantamir said:

You did better than me. I got 159 V, 143 Q, 4.0 AW. Taking the test again in a month. I took Magoosh online prep, obviously didn’t help much. But I’m also almost 37 and had not done any math since 1998…

I've been out a little less longer than you, and I'm sure that makes a huge difference. I personally found the manhattan prep series & online tests really useful. I wish you all the best! 

9 minutes ago, jjj02027 said:

Hi,

I took my GRE almost 2 weeks ago, and got all my results back a few days ago.

I did self study for 5 weeks before I took the exam.

My study strategy was using the manhattan prep (i just bought online books and used my kindle on phone/ipad/mac for portability). For verbal, I used the manhattan prep advanced/essential vocabs & strategies for verbal Qs, and for quant, I selected manhattan prep books depending on my weakness, but with hindsight would've bought them all. 

I took around 7 mock tests (2 free from the ets website and bought 5 on manhattan prep). I found that these tests really reflected the real test.

Throughout the 7 mock tests, I gradually improved from late 150s to early 160s, but I did find it frustrating how little my scores improved over my 5 weeks of study. Although it is a short time to improve drastically, I studied quite diligently before and after work everyday approx. 3 hrs/day.

However, learning the verbal words & strategies, I became very confident in verbal. I found that to improve in quantitative, I would need a couple more weeks of study in my area of weakness.

In my test, I got 167 (98%) verbal & 160 (76%) quant & 4.5 (82%) writing.

I didn't train separately for writing, and only practiced during the practice tests. I'm hoping that my high verbal scores & a good SOP will cover for it. I'm disappointed with my quantitative, but I think that 5 weeks is just too little time to up my scores and I performed a little worse on the day :(. I got lucky with verbal and will probably stick with these scores as I cannot bear to do any more studying!

I understand your frustration. I'm not sure what your strategy has been, but I'd say for verbal, just learn those vocabs (I looked at the vocabs almost every night 10 minutes before sleep) & the strategies in the manhattan prep (these really helped!). For quant, work on those areas you're most weak in. Wish you all the best, good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice. I very much appreciate it. I'll take a look into the Manhattan Prep practice tests.

4 hours ago, jjj02027 said:

I've been out a little less longer than you, and I'm sure that makes a huge difference. I personally found the manhattan prep series & online tests really useful. I wish you all the best! 

Thanks! Right now I’m just reviewing quant with the official guide, will start practice tests next week. Will check out Manhattan Prep. Cheers