Recommendation advice

KingRAJ

Hi All, 

I will be applying to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology for Fall 2018 and needed advice on what I should do with one of my recommendations. I worked at a lab for over a year after graduation and recently asked them for a recommendation. I was notified that they would write me a letter but it would address both my strengths and weaknesses that they observed while I worked there. I made a few mistakes while working there but was quick in apologizing and diligently worked on improving my performance. I was just wondering how a letter like that, which will include my weaknesses as a researcher, would impact my chances of admission. Is it an automatic kiss of death? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Best, 

KingRAJ

Honestly there's no way we could know how much this would impact your application without seeing the contents of the letter and how everything is framed. the PI could be great at framing ands committees get an image of a genuine eager grad student. Or conversely he could give them a lukewarm impression of you. Best thing is to ask him how he'd view receiving a letter like that for a potential grad student. It wont give you a full picture but possibly a better idea.

Or, you know, you could find another letter writer if possible....

That's a tough one. I've never heard of someone saying that when asked for a letter of recommendation. Typically they just tell you that they are not a good fit. With that being said it isn't always easy to find letter writers early on and one year is a long time to work for someone. I would I'm think it may be hard to find a replacement letter. Maybe try and talk to him and seek clarification. Most people will be upfront if they think they can't write you a good letter. 

That sounds like a signal that you should probably end up asking someone else (sorry). Letters are usually all positive and we have to read between the lines to figure out the negative. If it was put out there like that it would not be a good sign.

I would find a replacement but this was the first clinical lab that I worked at. All of my other experiences were based in social psych. And the the place I worked at specialized in the specific area I want to get my Ph.D. in. I asked if the letter would also include my self awareness of my weaknesses and my efforts in learning but never received a straightforward answer about it. Maybe I should just ask if this letter would overall be positive otherwise I don't think it'll help me out 

10 hours ago, KingRAJ said:

I asked if the letter would also include my self awareness of my weaknesses and my efforts in learning but never received a straightforward answer about it.

Honestly, there's your answer, man. If this professor isn't willing to provide a straight-forward response, take it as a red flag and move on. It would be best to provide letters of recommendation from people who are essentially your "cheerleaders" with clear positive praise for you, even if they're not exactly affiliated with your research interests. 

Plus, you have to consider that the professors' own reputations are at stake when he/she endorses a student with a letter of recommendation. Frankly, it sounds like this professor isn't sounding confident enough in providing an all-around positive endorsement. 

Edited by JoePianist