2018 AHA Program Released

emhafe

Hello! I just wanted to pass along the link for the online program. https://aha.confex.com/aha/2018/webprogram/start.html So much to see and do!

I'd also like to share the most unexpected website for conference attending tips. I discovered this yesterday: http://www.datingadvice.com/for-women/the-american-historical-association-unites-thousands-of-members-at-annual-meetings

Enjoy perusing! 

Lolololol. This is great. Because who doesn't think "women's dating advice" when they think "AHA." I also love that the author's bio says she brings "relatable experiences" to datingadvice.com. Because what's more relatable than dating at the AHA?

(as for the fact that "romantic" encounters probably do take place there...I plan to continue naively believing that they don't)

I love the fact that someone from AHA was willing to be interviewed for the article. Obviously it's the whole reason I'm attending the conference...

I definitely read a history book once where in the acknowledgements the author wrote about how he met his wife when their eyes locked at a conference. I wish I could remember the book.

On 9/16/2017 at 5:51 PM, ltr317 said:

Thanks for sharing.   Who would have thought that AHA annuals were such a hotbed (oops) of dating.  :lol:

You have a bunch of stressed, nervous people with shared interests and multiple open bars. What could go wrong?

24 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

You have a bunch of stressed, nervous people with shared interests and multiple open bars. What could go wrong?

I don't know, maybe a night or two of regret?  :unsure:

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, AP said:

I hope you all had a great conference!! (despite the freezing frigid super cold weather). 

This is something to be taken up with the AHA directly, but the affiliate organizations really got screwed by having almost all of their sessions at the Hilton.

This was my first time attending the conference. I assumed this was the set-up used in previous years, but during the cold it was really, really miserable. Thankfully they had the shuttle, but the shuttle wasn't super effective since it couldn't make a full loop during the 30 minute break window and it dropped you about a block from the door still. 

That being said, I had so much fun at the conference!!! I felt like a real historian for the first time! I got to meet some cool people! I did not go broke buying books!

I know last time it was in DC it was like that: with the Hilton really "far". I agree, the shuttle was barely useful not to freeze to death, because it ran infrequently and without paying attention to when panels began. When it was in NY and ATL, the hotels were closer to each other, even had internal connections. 

@emhafe I'm glad you enjoyed it! I really like the AHA, I end up worn out in, but I get energized for the rest of the year. 

8 hours ago, emhafe said:

This was my first time attending the conference. I assumed this was the set-up used in previous years, but during the cold it was really, really miserable. Thankfully they had the shuttle, but the shuttle wasn't super effective since it couldn't make a full loop during the 30 minute break window and it dropped you about a block from the door still. 

That being said, I had so much fun at the conference!!! I felt like a real historian for the first time! I got to meet some cool people! I did not go broke buying books!

It was my first time as well. I'm actually from the DC area, but I can't remember the last time it was that cold here.

From my conversations with other people, many of the affiliate organizations were rather upset with how the sessions at the Hilton were handled. The Omni/Marriott walk wasn't bad, but I generally chose to attend sessions at those two rather than go to the Hilton.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, psstein said:

It was my first time as well. I'm actually from the DC area, but I can't remember the last time it was that cold here.

From my conversations with other people, many of the affiliate organizations were rather upset with how the sessions at the Hilton were handled. The Omni/Marriott walk wasn't bad, but I generally chose to attend sessions at those two rather than go to the Hilton.

Yes. In my case I had to juggle meetings with panels at the Hilton all Friday. It was exhausting. Besides, wifi at the Hilton did not work (at least for me).