Getting my PI's attention about a LOR request e-mail (acceptable means vs. unacceptable)

PhDinCoffee

Hello,

So a little background. I am looking to apply for the 2018 cycle for a Ph.D. in Biology/Biomedical Sciences. My PI I did undergrad research with (and got an A in their class) and I have been talking since 2015. About a year ago now, I expressed my interest in applying for the Ph.D. I asked him if he would be willing to write me a letter, he said yes but did have reservations in earlier meetings on me going for my Ph.D., period.

Anyway, I took a gap year and worked in industry which further solidified my route to grad school. I have recently e-mailed him again for a meeting to talk about the LOR he said he would write. The last time I had e-mailed about it, I visited him when I didn't receive a response and he said he never got it which was strange because I sent it to both of his e-mails and he seemed to always get my e-mails just fine in the past. Anyway, so I recently e-mailed him again (I am out of town so can't visit) and I haven't gotten a  response yet which is fine but I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to follow up with a reminder/nudge on his LinkedIn account (which he has messaged me on before) and message him, just in case he didn't get my e-mail again? Is this acceptable or no? He is my best bet at grad school admission because I did research with him AND did well in his class so I really need his letter. 

If it's ok to contact via LinkedIn, is this an acceptable way to go about it?

"Hello Dr. X,

I just wanted to let you know I am applying to grad school for this upcoming cycle. I sent you an email regarding a request I had for a meeting along with additional information. Please get back to me at your earliest convenience. Thank you deeply for your time.

Respectfully,

Annoying Student Y"

I don't ever want to come off as annoying or disrespectful to him so I am getting really anxious about this and wanted to ask you all to see what you thought. Thank you in advance!! 

Edited by PhDinCoffee
Typos

I asked my professors about 3 months ago if they would be willing to write me a LOR for this fall applications, and they all agreed. However,  I told them there was no rush since I wouldn't need it till the end of the year, so they had plenty of time. None-the-less I'm sure none of them have started to write the letter, and have most likely forgotten about it. I recently emailed all of them asking when they had time for an appointment. My appointments are all within the next 2 weeks. My plan is basically to walk in and basically update them on my current situation (these are the schools I'm applying to, this is how my life is so far, this is where I am in my application process, etc.), and simply inform them the deadline to apply is Dec. 1, and I plan on applying the first week of November (I don't, but I want a buffer period in case they forget again). This leaves them with a little under 2 months. Now I know they may probably still forget, and I don't have this in writing because it was in person, so I'm already planning to email them mid October informing them as to the status of my application (e.g. I've taken the GRE now, I got these scores, finished my SOPs, spoken to these professors, etc.), and asking for an update as to the status of the letter, and just reminding them of the deadline again (e.g. I've gotten my whole application together now and plan to submit this data). If I don't get the LOR (or an update to it) by basically November, I plan on emailing them again as to an update of the letter, and just ask if they need more time (like i'm running short on time, but if you need more time to write it, that's fine, please just make sure to email it to me/or the school by this date). 

My entire approach is primarily just updates, that act as reminders. First reminder is me updating the professor about my life and school status. Second reminder is an update on the letter and my status, as well as a re-iteration of when I want to apply (so it's in writing). Final reminder is update on letter and deadline again. So I want it come across more of a conversation as to my entire PhD process with them, instead of a constant "hey I need my letter" or "hey wheres my letter" etc. 

Anyways that's personally how I plan on proceeding with it. Key things to keep in mind, you don't want to bother them (this is why I have 3 reminders set between 3 months).  It also matters how close you are with your PI. I was very close with my PI, to the point where I used to walk in to her office and we'd have conversations all the time (it'd usually start about something lab related, and then go into a billion different directions). So if she did forget, I wouldn't really have any problems being more straight forward with her about the deadline and when I need the letter. The other professors I don't have this relationship with, so I'm a lot more careful with my tone and frequency of emailing them. So all that being said, if you and your PI are close and do use Linkden to communicate about your school and status, then I see no problem contacting him via there. I think your format is fine, although I think it could be maybe a little bit more descriptive I.e. "Hello Dr. X, I wanted to inform you I'm deciding to apply to school X, Y, and Z for my PhD in these programs. I wanted to sit down and discuss my future school plans and goals." Afterwards you could tell him what times work for you based on your schedule for an appointment. Then you can inform him you sent an email to him as well, but since there has been a history of the email system glitching out, you wanted to contact him via Linkden as well. 

Anyways, hope i helped!

Since this seems to be a recurring issue, I'd try calling their office sometime during normal working hours. I can't tell chronology from your post, though- did he respond once this year, or was the "last time" he agreed and didn't get your email sometime a year ago? 

Also, you don't mention how long of a time-gap there is. Personally, if you sent one email and it's been around a week, I'd send a follow up. If you don't hear from them in another week, maybe try giving them a call.

I don't think using LinkedIn to message them is a problem, per-se, but I'd bet they check it infrequently and have notifications turned off.