Audition/Interview Attire?

.two.snaps.up.

Well, the good news is that I have three auditions/interviews coming up for MFA Directing programs. For two, I will be directing short scenes in front of the faculty and for the other I am presenting my directorial approach to the first scene in Macbeth. Obviously, as these are coming up in a week or so, I'm feverishly preparing my director's book, etc. But I'm also concerned about attire. Every article I read online about grad school interview attire seems to be geared towards business or the sciences. I'll actually be 'getting my hands dirty' and leading a rehearsal - I'm guessing a suit isn't the most appropriate thing to wear. For my initial, sit-down interview with one of these schools, I dressed up and felt a little out of place as they were also having undergrad auditions for their program in the same location and everyone was running around in jeans and dance clothes. Even the professor who interviewed me wasn't dressed up, so I'm wondering if a casual look would work out better for this stage. The last thing I want to do is give off the impression that I don't care enough to dress up, but at the same time, I want to look appropriate. I also feel like this should be the last thing on my mind at this stage - please HELP!

Well, the good news is that I have three auditions/interviews coming up for MFA Directing programs. For two, I will be directing short scenes in front of the faculty and for the other I am presenting my directorial approach to the first scene in Macbeth. Obviously, as these are coming up in a week or so, I'm feverishly preparing my director's book, etc. But I'm also concerned about attire. Every article I read online about grad school interview attire seems to be geared towards business or the sciences. I'll actually be 'getting my hands dirty' and leading a rehearsal - I'm guessing a suit isn't the most appropriate thing to wear. For my initial, sit-down interview with one of these schools, I dressed up and felt a little out of place as they were also having undergrad auditions for their program in the same location and everyone was running around in jeans and dance clothes. Even the professor who interviewed me wasn't dressed up, so I'm wondering if a casual look would work out better for this stage. The last thing I want to do is give off the impression that I don't care enough to dress up, but at the same time, I want to look appropriate. I also feel like this should be the last thing on my mind at this stage - please HELP!

I would be business casual. Without making assumptions about your gender, here is what I'd recommend: Male, wear Khakis or Cords with a button down shirt, but not a dress shirt. Wear comfortable but not beaten up shoes.

For a woman, black pants, long sleeved t-shirt with a sweater over or casual blazer over, and scarf to dress it up. Shed the top layer if you're working really hard. That's my advice, FWIW.

• 1 year later...

as a twenty something who dresses up every day for her federal government job, i say yes to the slacks and sweater but depending on the school, show your personality a bit. dont go overboard with the quirks of course but remember its important to separate yourself in a good way