UPenn GSE 2018

Lee_C

1 hour ago, highered01 said:

Hey, @Molly123 and others! I also attended the doctoral weekend and heard Penn GSE will send emails with all final decisions on March 1 (Thursday). 

Does this include the Masters programs, or just the doctorals?

i got accepted! 

just got a mail 17 minutes ago.

not official, but by admission staff.

i applied for the IEPM and I'm waiting for the official letter and scholarships.

hope this helps!

I applied to a PhD program, but got accepted to the corresponding MSEd program yesterday.

While I'm definitely honored I probably will not be able to swing the large cost of tuition even with the scholarship that was offered.  Does anyone know if Penn will ever 'upgrade' someone from MSEd to PhD (if that was their original application) if PhD spots are declined?  Like a waitlist of sorts? Or do they have a separate waitlist?

I plan on asking someone from the program but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here first.

I just received an offer for an EdD program around 3 pm today. Excited and had to get someone else to read it before I believed it! I had convinced myself it was a rejection as so many offers had already gone out. This is my second time applying so for everyone out there, don't give up! 

@eduphd813 I am sorry, I've been there! my gut is saying that if there was a waitlist they would have told you, but I'd definitely reach out to faculty or admissions and get some clarity. 

I also just heard back from my MS Educational Entrepreneurship program, saying that  "faculty committee on admissions would like to re-review your application as part of the regular decision pool. Your application will be re-reviewed in mid-March with the rest of the Regular Decision applications.  We will be in touch in early April with a final admissions decision."

At least it isn't a flat-out rejection, but it seems different from a wait-list. Has anybody seen this outcome before? How is this different from a wait-list, and how likely are my chances?

This program is definately my top choice.   

2 hours ago, Molly123 said:

I just received an offer for an EdD program around 3 pm today. Excited and had to get someone else to read it before I believed it! I had convinced myself it was a rejection as so many offers had already gone out. This is my second time applying so for everyone out there, don't give up! 

@eduphd813 I am sorry, I've been there! my gut is saying that if there was a waitlist they would have told you, but I'd definitely reach out to faculty or admissions and get some clarity. 

Congrats on getting the good news!!

If I ultimately get rejected, your experience will comfort me to consider applying a second time :)

Edited by Lee_C

I'm currently weighing masters program (higher ed) offers from Harvard and Penn. Does anyone have useful insight to share about Penn's program as compared to Harvard? Personally, I have felt from my interactions with Penn that Harvard has a stronger community vibe, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts? Anything about academics, internship opportunities that make for notable comparisons?

Thanks!

On 2/23/2018 at 9:38 AM, POLITICALPEARL8 said:

Thank you for the update. Do you know if this is for Masters or Doctoral applicants? Everyone? 

Sorry for the late response! It seems to me that this was for the Master’s applicants, I got into their M.S. Ed. program. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 9:49 AM, brainman1130 said:

I'm currently weighing masters program (higher ed) offers from Harvard and Penn. Does anyone have useful insight to share about Penn's program as compared to Harvard? Personally, I have felt from my interactions with Penn that Harvard has a stronger community vibe, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts? Anything about academics, internship opportunities that make for notable comparisons?

Thanks!

Heya, in the same boat! Wondering if you’ve made a decision yet, and if so (or not), would share a little about the deciding factors?

Thank you in advance, and congratulations!