Phone Interview

poissonpilote

Hi guys,

So I got an email from a professor saying that he was "impressed by my application " and he would like to "discuss my interests by phone".

How should I interpret that? Does that mean that I'm likely to get an acceptance only if my interests match? Does that mean I'm likely to be accepted, and the discussion of interests is just a "formality"? Or does that not mean anything particular concerning my chances of acceptance?

Also, any tips for the interview?

Depends on the circumstances. At this point, take it as a positive sign, but don't get *too* overexcited. Before the interview, read over your SOP and perhaps read his latest papers. Interviews before (in)formal acceptances are usually not a formality, whatever way they go. Having a prof that pushes for you is a crucial stepping stone in the admissions procedure, but by no means guarantees an admission.

What's likely going to happen: You talk a little bit about your interests and your background. The prof might briefly go over your file and point out potential pitfalls or particular strengths. In one interview I was asked whether a (perhaps more famous than I had thought) prof at my institution knows me well. The prof explains his/her research and tries to make it sound as interesting as possible. I don't think you'll be asked in-depth questions about your subject in a phone interview.

Best of luck in your interview!

sD.

Edited by someDay

I actually just had nearly the same thing. An email from a professor who was interested in having me work with him and a request for a phone interview.

For me, I had made it through the first rounds of admission commitees and he was calling me to talk to see if i fit into his lab and his research interests. There is still one round for my application to go through (On wednesday- stress!) but now I have that professor in there speaking up for me, helping me to get in.

Good sign! It's not a definite acceptance, but it means he's interested. I agree with a previous poster that you should read up on his current research and see if it's something you're interested in. In a few of my phone interviews the prof seemed more interested in talking than asking questions of me. (I had good results at those schools, so don't worry if that happens to you.) But you should be able to talk intelligently about his research interest and how it can possibly overlap with yours.

Hi guys,

So I got an email from a professor saying that he was "impressed by my application " and he would like to "discuss my interests by phone".

How should I interpret that? Does that mean that I'm likely to get an acceptance only if my interests match? Does that mean I'm likely to be accepted, and the discussion of interests is just a "formality"? Or does that not mean anything particular concerning my chances of acceptance?

Also, any tips for the interview?

It's a very good sign. My advise is NOT to talk too much and listen more. Let the professor start talking to get a sense of why he wants to interview you. Ask questions about the admission process. Show interest -- you're more likely to be accepted if they think that you would take the offer. Show that you want to learn and are excited about the opportunity. Don't try to show off! Don't try to show that you have read his/her papers' titles and not more. Don't tell him/her about all the other offers you have (or don't).

Sort of like dating, I guess.

All the best!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray! They want you!

They obviously have an interest in you, or they would have contacted you. Listen to their research, and why they contacted you. (In my experience, all phone conversations and in-person interviews have started this way). Then explain your strengths. They probably won't stress your weaknesses, but if they do, just stay calm, explain why they are there (no excuses) and if you have any plan for fixing them (if applicable). And relax. If you are very compatible, you are probably in. They don't do this to everyone.

• 5 weeks later...

wish I could advise you but I'm very new to this. Actually I have my first telephone interview on Monday and extremely nervous. I hope it doesn't come across in my interview. Any advice?????