nishant1247

I will be sending in early applications within the next 20-22 days, for the Fall '18 in-take.

The list is as follows: (NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER)

-Carnegie Mellon (MS Computational Biology )

-IU Purdue Uni of Indianapolis (MS Bioinformatics)

-UC San Diego (MS Bioinformatics)

-John Hopkins (MS Biomedical-informatics)

-Virginia Tech (MS Bioinformatics)

-Boston University (MS Bioinformatics)

-Georgia Tech (MS Bioinformatics)

-University of Michigan Ann Arbor (MS Biomedical-informatics)

-Northeastern University (MS Bioinformatics)

-Indiana University Bloomington (MS Bioinformatics)

-Rutgers (MS Computational and Integrative Biology) 

I would love to hear inputs on these universities.

Edited by nishant1247

• 1 month later...

I am now in an MS Bioinformatics program at Maryland.  I don't know much about the programs on your list because Maryland was the only program I had applied to, but I did take a brief look into others and they only thing I can really say is that the program at JH is really expensive. I also had done a part of my undergrad at Northeastern before transferring out.  It's a good school that doesn't get the credit it deserves.  

What school/program you select should be determined by both your background and your future goals.  Of course that can be said about most disciplines, bioinformatics is unique in that it can be under Computer Science, Biology, BioMed, BioTech, and a few others.  At Maryland, there is a bioinformatics program within their CS Department, and then a second one within their Biology Department.  Also at Maryland is a Health-related Informatics and Bioimaging program and if I recall correctly also an environmental center that does informatics as well.  I imagine similar treatment at other universities.  

What is your background?  Biology?  CS?  If Biology, expect the pre-req/co-req of a course or two in programming (this is me, I had to take one course prior to or within my first semester and I was lucky to find a course that focused on Python and R.  I will be taking a second course in programming next semester).  If coming from a CS background, expect to take a molecular bio course or two.  Then again, I didn't look too much into other programs. 

Then there are the labs.  If you don't know what you want to do yet, that's fine.  Keep in mind that bioinformatics is an umbrella;  do you want to:  predict protein folding?  Cancer research?  Build phylogenetic trees?  I am interested in phylogeny/phyloinformatics and was also lucky enough to find a lab that works with marine species.  

If you have any other questions, I might be able to help. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 10:05 PM, Crucial BBQ said:

I am now in an MS Bioinformatics program at Maryland.  I don't know much about the programs on your list because Maryland was the only program I had applied to, but I did take a brief look into others and they only thing I can really say is that the program at JH is really expensive. I also had done a part of my undergrad at Northeastern before transferring out.  It's a good school that doesn't get the credit it deserves.  

What school/program you select should be determined by both your background and your future goals.  Of course that can be said about most disciplines, bioinformatics is unique in that it can be under Computer Science, Biology, BioMed, BioTech, and a few others.  At Maryland, there is a bioinformatics program within their CS Department, and then a second one within their Biology Department.  Also at Maryland is a Health-related Informatics and Bioimaging program and if I recall correctly also an environmental center that does informatics as well.  I imagine similar treatment at other universities.  

What is your background?  Biology?  CS?  If Biology, expect the pre-req/co-req of a course or two in programming (this is me, I had to take one course prior to or within my first semester and I was lucky to find a course that focused on Python and R.  I will be taking a second course in programming next semester).  If coming from a CS background, expect to take a molecular bio course or two.  Then again, I didn't look too much into other programs. 

Then there are the labs.  If you don't know what you want to do yet, that's fine.  Keep in mind that bioinformatics is an umbrella;  do you want to:  predict protein folding?  Cancer research?  Build phylogenetic trees?  I am interested in phylogeny/phyloinformatics and was also lucky enough to find a lab that works with marine species.  

If you have any other questions, I might be able to help. 

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply!

Since I last posted here, I've been fortunate enough to get in touch with a few professors who've been really positive at GaTech and UIUC regarding RA positions. And I'd filled up something known as a 'pre-application' for GaTech around September, to which I was notified that I should complete my formal applications at the earliest, for early admissions. So I've gone ahead and completed my applications to MS Bioinformatics at GaTech and UIUC, and MS Computational Biology at CMU.

Received an email from the coordinator at GaTech yesterday, saying that the early decisions will be announced sometime this week!

Hoping for the best :)

• 4 weeks later...