GRE and Applications

deutsch1997bw

To make the story short, I took the GRE last week and it didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped it would. I'm retaking it next month. Here's my question. I have what I think is a competitive profile (high GPA, excellent letters of recommendation, a SOP that has been revised in light of feedback by two professors, quantitative research experience, and an upcoming presentation at the Midwest Political Science Association). Say I don't do very well on the GRE. Would I still have a chance at top 25 programs that fit really well with my interests?

I did not have a competitive Q score for my GRE and I got into two top 5 programs. You can compensate for low GRE Q scores with other things (pre-existing training in statistics/formal theory etc. - the math our field cares about but isn't tested at all on the GRE). Your grammar and writing skills will how in your SOP and writing sample. It also depends on the nature of your work. If you're a theorist, your Q score is hardly relevant to the bigger picture. This isn't to say that the GRE isn't an important component of your application - it's required, but your application is a holistic package.