Raising GRE Verbal

Hey everyone,

I took the GRE a few weeks ago and got a 159 on the verbal section. However, my quant score isn't that high and I'm worried that my combined score will not be good enough to get into grad school (GPA is also on the lower side). So I'm planning to retake it and I've kept studying but it seems like my verbal score isn't going up. I'm hoping to raise my quant score for sure, but I'd be super happy if I could raise the verbal score too, does anyone have any advice on the best ways to study to get higher than 159?

Thanks!!!

Edited by Wildfox92

Honestly I would be more concerned with studying to raise your quant score than raising your verbal. The majority of schools want a score at least in that 50th percentile range for quant, so I would aim most of your energy into getting around that percentil range (I think around a 153). Your verbal score is great, I wouldn't be worried about it!

9 hours ago, Wildfox92 said:

Hey everyone,

I took the GRE a few weeks ago and got a 159 on the verbal section. However, my quant score isn't that high and I'm worried that my combined score will not be good enough to get into grad school (GPA is also on the lower side). So I'm planning to retake it and I've kept studying but it seems like my verbal score isn't going up. I'm hoping to raise my quant score for sure, but I'd be super happy if I could raise the verbal score too, does anyone have any advice on the best ways to study to get higher than 159?

Thanks!!!

You can continue to study all you wish and your scores won't increase. I used Magoosh. They have little videos that discuss why certain answers are correct. You need to learn what type of answer the questions are looking for. Only when you figure out the process, will your scores increase and go over the 90 percentile range. It's the same way with any standardized test. You must figure out kind of answer they are looking for. People who score well in standardized testing do this unknowingly.