Should I go for an MA first / retake GRE? Advice needed

TsarandProphet

Dear all,

I am a sophomore student at an Israeli university. My mother tongue is Hebrew. I am interested in attending a top-15 program in Russian History, and I have delimited my range of potential advisors, which resulted in a list of about 10 institutions.

My GPA is 90.02 currently, but I have studied the second semester while being under conscription which has hurt my grades. I believe I will graduate with a GPA of 92 (out of 100), since rarely do we get grades above 95 here. 

I have published one paper in a German journal, one more is under peer-review, two chapters in books (one is peer-edited), and 14 book reviews in scholarly journals. Moreover, I speak all the relevant languages for my field of study (Russia and the Balkans): Russian in a (tested) Advanced High level, Serbian, and Modern Greek.

Today I took my GRE. Don't know about writing yet, but my verbal and quantitative scores were both 161. 

As far as LORs are concerned, I count on 3 professors: two know me for all years of study and I'll take a seminar with them (which will result in a paper of 35 pages each) and one professor I'll only meet this year and I'll take a seminar with her two.

Two questions:

1. Would you retake the GRE?
  2. Should I go for an MA in Israel and then apply, or may I apply in September of my third (and final) year?

Thanks!

Your native language will be taken into consideration.  I think you may need to take the TOEFL as well for a US university.  You'll need to check on the requirements.  I know of israelis who have successfully been accepted in top PhD programs with degrees from TAU and Hebrew U.

Your reading ability in Russian, BCS and Greek will be highly looked upon.  You need to just focus on your statement of purpose.  Make sure that you apply a year before you plan to enter in a PhD program as the bachelor's degee is required for registering in PhD programs.  In your case, yes, apply in your third year.  Use this year to consider writing and revising an appropriate 10-25 page writing sample for submission next fall.

Please feel free to PM/DM me with questions-- I'm in Israel anyway and can respond in real time :) 

13 hours ago, TsarAndComissar said:

Thank you, both! I think I'll redirect my efforts to complete the paper I am writing for a conference and honing my statement instead of studying for another GRE date. @TMP - enjoy your time here! Business or pleasure?

Research :P 

I would not retake the GRE.

I'd generally only suggest such a thing if your scores discluded you from consideration. A 161 score is hardly terrible, and I would think that only in the more extreme of cases might it be an issue. Besides, the GRE is expensive. Save the money. :)