CSULB MSW fall 2018

Dkayleigh

12 hours ago, TheWillToDo said:

Ikr! I was wondering how could they even sort through the bins full of applications and assign me an advisor and yet couldn't make a decision on my application? This is so very odd! Am I the only one going through this dilemma? 

I haven't gotten an advisor. I'm thinking this is maybe an international student thing? I think you should call and ask. Honestly I'd feel better if they gave me an advisor haha. And I have no idea how they sort through the bins. I know the last day they were accepting applications they had 5 or 6 bins, they'd said these were the second round of these bins and it was only around noon..... So I can't imagine how many they actually got.

But like someone said, they do rolling admissions, so the earlier you turn them in, the earlier you SHOULD hear back.

Good luck my friend

53 minutes ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

I haven't gotten an advisor. I'm thinking this is maybe an international student thing? I think you should call and ask. Honestly I'd feel better if they gave me an advisor haha. And I have no idea how they sort through the bins. I know the last day they were accepting applications they had 5 or 6 bins, they'd said these were the second round of these bins and it was only around noon..... So I can't imagine how many they actually got.

But like someone said, they do rolling admissions, so the earlier you turn them in, the earlier you SHOULD hear back.

Good luck my friend

Thank you so much. Good luck to you too :)

Regarding the advisor, I think that every potential student is assigned one. They stated something like that in the email they sent me. 

Anyway, I applied since October 27  and I received only 2 emails so far. One being a confirmation that my application is received and complete, and the other one is the academic advisor stuff. As an international applicant, I thought that I would have had my decision early to enable me have enough time to process my visa and all that. I'm so anxious ? and totally in the dark. I must admit that I hate  waiting.

13 hours ago, jenMSW2018 said:

Hi all,

I applied for the MSW program at CSULB (2 yr program). I turned in my application on 11/15 and got accepted on 2/29. Hopefully this helps!

Hey congratulations on your admit! Where are you from? Were you assigned to an academic advisor? 

I turned in my application for the MSW since October 27 but no notice of acceptance/rejection. And I am an international student. This is driving me crazy!

Edited by TheWillToDo

Hi all. I submitted my application at the end of December and got this email on 02/14:

"I am writing to inform you that we have forwarded your application to the graduate department of your intended major for a final review. Departments generally review applications after the program application deadline and make decisions within 4 to 6 weeks after the deadline date."

Hoping to hear back by early March. Congrats to everyone that has already been accepted!

On 2/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Congrats to those of you who have gotten accepted!

When did you turn in your packets? What were your "stats"?

I still haven't heard anything and I'm starting to believe it's less and less likely I'll be accepted.

Hello! In case anyone else is wondering too, here are my stats. 

I got a BA in Sociology with a minor in Queer Studies in 2015. I had an overall GPA of 2.99, but my major GPA was somewhere around 3.25. During college, I interned and volunteered in the community with homeless people and sexual abuse victims.  After graduating, I worked with children who have autism. Then I did employment services/case management for the Department of Rehabilitation. I then went on to being a case manager for my county’s Wraparound program working with at-risk youth and their families. Currently, I work with the county as an eligibility worker. I can also confidently say I worked really hard on my statement this time around and made it really geared towards how my experience and my future goals fit into the demands of the program. 

I sent my app in mid November and heard back earlier this month. The whole process after being offered admission took about a week, including getting the acceptance emails from the department and the graduate school and submitting the checklist accepting it. 

Edited by kath18

On 2/20/2018 at 2:44 AM, TheWillToDo said:

Hey congratulations on your admit! Where are you from? Were you assigned to an academic advisor? 

I turned in my application for the MSW since October 27 but no notice of acceptance/rejection. And I am an international student. This is driving me crazy!

hellllo! I am from San Francisco. Where are you from? I was not assigned an academic advisor.

<_<that must be really nerve-racking to be waiting for that long! I hope you hear from them soon! Where are you from?

Edited by jenMSW2018

On 2/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Congrats to those of you who have gotten accepted!

When did you turn in your packets? What were your "stats"?

I still haven't heard anything and I'm starting to believe it's less and less likely I'll be accepted.

Hi Beckie!

I turned in my application on 11/15 and heard back on 1/29. For my "stats" : I have an AS in Allied Health and a BA in Sociology. As an undergrad I had a cumulative GPA of 3.454 and just in my major was 3.875. 1.5 years of ABA (working with children on the autism spectrum), 1 year of volunteer work at a hospital, 12 hrs of working with divorced families, and 6 months interning with homeless families. hopefully this helps! Keep your head up=)

Edited by jenMSW2018

1 hour ago, jenMSW2018 said:

hellllo! I am from San Francisco. Where are you from? I was not assigned an academic advisor.

<_<that must be really nerve-racking to be waiting for that long! I hope you hear from them soon! Where are you from?

I am from Ghana but I'm currently volunteering in Turkey. 

I really am so anxious ?. I was assigned an advisor but no admission decision yet. I really hope they don't disappoint me 

11 minutes ago, TheWillToDo said:

I am from Ghana but I'm currently volunteering in Turkey. 

I really am so anxious ?. I was assigned an advisor but no admission decision yet. I really hope they don't disappoint me 

Maybe they gave you an advisor because you're an international student? I would just call them to ask about it. When did you turn in your application?

4 minutes ago, jenMSW2018 said:

Maybe they gave you an advisor because you're an international student? I would just call them to ask about it. When did you turn in your application?

I turned in my application since October. They said all prospective students are provided an advisor so I don't think it's an international thing.

3 minutes ago, TheWillToDo said:

I turned in my application since October. They said all prospective students are provided an advisor so I don't think it's an international thing.

how strange! I'm sure they'll get back to you soon though since it's been more than 8 weeks

9 hours ago, jenMSW2018 said:

how strange! I'm sure they'll get back to you soon though since it's been more than 8 weeks

I really hope so! I am full with negative thoughts right now. Maybe they're rejecting me or something but all is well.

Edited by TheWillToDo

44 minutes ago, jenMSW2018 said:

I feel the same for the other schools i applied to. Did you apply for other schools?

I also applied for UofM Social Work and SFU Urban Studies. No news from them as well. UofM deadline was due on January 15 for International Students but SFU's passed just last week so for them it will take few more weeks to hear from them.

Which other schools did you applied for?

Edited by TheWillToDo

On 2/19/2018 at 11:04 AM, TheWillToDo said:

Thank you so much. Good luck to you too :)

Regarding the advisor, I think that every potential student is assigned one. They stated something like that in the email they sent me. 

Anyway, I applied since October 27  and I received only 2 emails so far. One being a confirmation that my application is received and complete, and the other one is the academic advisor stuff. As an international applicant, I thought that I would have had my decision early to enable me have enough time to process my visa and all that. I'm so anxious ? and totally in the dark. I must admit that I hate  waiting.

I'm not at all sure how visa's work. Do you have to be accepted into a specific university before you can apply fro the Visa? You can't apply under, "schools are as slow as molasses, and I like to be prepared"? 

Sorry in advance, but I would appreciate honest feedback as to what y'all think my odds are of getting into Long Beach, and I would really appreciate any feedback you have. 

I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I currently work in accounting, just something to pay the bills, but a skill I also believe to be an important aspect to social work as it utilizes organization, management and office skills. Hope to hear from you all soon. 

Again, good luck to you all!

2 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

I'm not at all sure how visa's work. Do you have to be accepted into a specific university before you can apply fro the Visa? You can't apply under, "schools are as slow as molasses, and I like to be prepared"? 

Not at all! You have to get an offer of admission first, then you can apply for the right visa.

11 hours ago, TheWillToDo said:

I also applied for UofM Social Work and SFU Urban Studies. No news from them as well. UofM deadline was due on January 15 for International Students but SFU's passed just last week so for them it will take few more weeks to hear from them.

Which other schools did you applied for?

I applied for CSULB, CSUEB and SJSU. Only heard back from CSULB though.

10 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Sorry in advance, but I would appreciate honest feedback as to what y'all think my odds are of getting into Long Beach, and I would really appreciate any feedback you have. 

I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I currently work in accounting, just something to pay the bills, but a skill I also believe to be an important aspect to social work as it utilizes organization, management and office skills. Hope to hear from you all soon. 

Again, good luck to you all!

Hiii! I think you have a likely chance. It seems like you have experience and have a good GPA. I think the reason you haven’t heard back yet is cause they do rolling admissions.

5 minutes ago, TheWillToDo said:

Oh okay. Good luck with the rest. 

Which one is your top choice?

I really want to get into SJSU because I applied for the online/hybrid program which would be easier for me cause i can still manage a full time job and go to school unlike other programs. BUT! SJSU is taking awhile to get back to me so i’m pretty nervous.

9 minutes ago, jenMSW2018 said:

I really want to get into SJSU because I applied for the online/hybrid program which would be easier for me cause i can still manage a full time job and go to school unlike other programs. BUT! SJSU is taking awhile to get back to me so i’m pretty nervous.

I understand. Since it is what you prefer on top of the others, it is worth waiting for. I hope you get in. Fingers crossed for you