Suicide to do two internships at once?

Kevin1990

I've been offered internship opportunities by two prestigious organizations in my field which is IR/History. They said they would be very flexible and be very understanding in regards to my academic demands. Would it be academic suicide to do both of them at once. Ex. 1 one day of the week and the other 2 days? (depending on my academic needs of course)

Any input on this would be appreciated as I have to make a decision soon!

You need to think what is the benefit of giving so much time to internships and not your program. Are you on stipend/do you have a fellowship? If you do, you might want to check the 'employment' conditions, which normally stipulate you have to devote a certain amount of hours to your degree. Even if you are not on stipend, check the graduate handbook. 

You might also want to balance what you will be doing. One thing is to work in the copy room of the UN and another thing is to be an assistant to a diplomat. Don't weight only the prestige but also the skills that you'll acquire. Your skills is what later will make you an excellent candidate. 

I understand in the long run how having experience in these two places might be beneficial, especially if you are looking for employment and not an academic career. 

Just make sure they aren't both i-banks with 90-hour weeks!  :o

As for the rest--  balance skills and contacts acquired with resume suck that will look good to someone who knows nothing. 

Make sure that you can leave each job behind when you're out the door.  Otherwise the stress will kill you.

Will alternating days deliver relief, or deep confusion?

On 10/5/2017 at 4:19 PM, Kevin1990 said:

I've been offered internship opportunities by two prestigious organizations in my field which is IR/History. They said they would be very flexible and be very understanding in regards to my academic demands. Would it be academic suicide to do both of them at once. Ex. 1 one day of the week and the other 2 days? (depending on my academic needs of course)

Any input on this would be appreciated as I have to make a decision soon!

Did they say they'd be understanding if you took both internships?:D

I recommend taking only one of the two. If you decide to take only one, weigh the cons (e.g. has anything to do with the current presidential administration) as well as the pluses.