Would that previous experience count?

Adelaide9216

Hello everyone,

I am considering more and more seriously applying for a PhD in Social Work next year. I live in Qc, and I have a CEGEP degree in social intervention. Along with my BSW, I was able to accumulate 2-3 years of work and field experience, on and off. When applying for a PhD and considering teaching positions, would that previous experience count? Or does it have to be "registered social worker, post-BSW" experience only? I am officially a social worker, member of a professional order since this summer but I am currently working as a research assistant. 

Thank you!

19 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello everyone,

I am considering more and more seriously applying for a PhD in Social Work next year. I live in Qc, and I have a CEGEP degree in social intervention. Along with my BSW, I was able to accumulate 2-3 years of work and field experience, on and off. When applying for a PhD and considering teaching positions, would that previous experience count? Or does it have to be "registered social worker, post-BSW" experience only? I am officially a social worker, member of a professional order since this summer but I am currently working as a research assistant. 

Thank you!

From what I've been told from the students in my school's PhD Social Work program, here in the US at least, if you have post-BSW experience, then you're qualified to teach BSW theory and practical classes.  If you don't have post-MSW experience, you can still teach MSW theory classes, but you can't teach any of the practical courses since you won't have the experience to back it up, so to speak.

Thanks.

I just spoke with a professor, and he said that all my community work that I have been doing since I was a teenager also counts. So I would definitely have more than 2 years of experience. Yay!

He also mentioned that there is a lack of diversity among social work professors at the current moment and that who I am and the things I do would be an added value to the profession.

:)