GRE prep

Abdul Quayum

Question

1 answer to this question

7 hours ago, Abdul Quayum said:

I have 1 year time for GRE prep. Can anyone suggest me a study plan??

That is great to hear! It is fantastic when someone can prep that far in advance. I suggest taking the time to first determine what your weak spots. Take a practice test and tailor your practice accordingly. For an example, here is my (quant heavy) study plan.

• Quantitative Study Plan
    • Watching Khan Academy and Magoosh videos 
      • Khan Academy: free tool that really goes into all the details and not just focus on the GRE
      • Magoosh: Some resources are free. I have the 6 month subscription
      • I watch these on my trip to and from work (I take the bus/train)
    • Complete timed Magoosh practice problems
      • I target material I'm studying first, and then add on material I've already worked on
      • I'll also watch explanatory videos on anything I guess or get incorrect
    • Complete practice problems associated to that content in the ETS manual, and several other GRE math workbooks
    • When I have downtime, I go through the Magoosh GRE math flash cards app to build number sense
    • Once I've finished studying a content area, I wipe the magoosh history and go through all the problems within that content area
      • At this time I'm looking at my time, accuracy, and stamina
  • Verbal Study Plan
    • I will customize the practice for usually 25-30 questions. 
      • Depending on the day, this might customized to type as well (sentence completion, etc.) or it will be any problem
      •  I'll watch explanatory videos on anything I guess or get incorrect
    • Magoosh vocabulary builder app to stay fresh and current with vocabulary. The timed competition is also fun!
    • Keep reading like usual: news, literature and academic papers
  • Once every other month, I take a full practice test to see how my progress is coming along.
  • Resources: Khan Academy, Magoosh (including 3 phone apps), ETS Official Guide Book (and software tool), GRE math workbook (Kaplan and Barron)
  • Formal study time: 2 hours daily; 4 hours on weekend. A total of about 14 hrs/week.