Can someone help a confused person out? Wondering whether to apply this year or next

Hey guys, I could really use some guidance.

I'm an applicant from India who graduated as a Mechanical Engineer in 2011. I worked for two years in the engineering sector and in January 2015, I started working at a public policy think tank working on health and education. Right now I have about 2.5 years of experience in that.

I'm wondering if I should apply this year to some MPP schools this year or next. Personally, I think I should wait because I end up having more work experience, but people around me inclined to thinking I might have a shot next fall.

My main concerns are my GPA. I got 6.38/10 with couple of Fs and a few Cs and Ds. To make up for that, I took UCLA Stats (got an A) and will take micro and macro. I also took the GRE recently and got 166q/157v/4.0aw. Another concern is that Im right now 28 (will be 29 in Nov)-- does age really matter?

What do you guys think? Should I apply this year and see what happens?

Or take an extra year, building work experience (possibly retake the GRE). Will that make a difference? 

My aim is to ideally go to a top school, spend as less money as possible and work for a few years abroad, ideally in an international NGO or multilateral.

Edited by invincible49

You have enough work experience and tbh, yeah, as you near 30, the age starts to be a concern (it shouldn't be, but...). The GRE is fine. Top schools aren't great with scholarships, so another idea is to go to a decent school in DC (ahem, GW) and rack up those networks/internships.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2017 at 8:28 PM, invincible49 said:

Hey guys, I could really use some guidance.

I'm an applicant from India who graduated as a Mechanical Engineer in 2011. I worked for two years in the engineering sector and in January 2015, I started working at a public policy think tank working on health and education. Right now I have about 2.5 years of experience in that.

I'm wondering if I should apply this year to some MPP schools this year or next. Personally, I think I should wait because I end up having more work experience, but people around me inclined to thinking I might have a shot next fall.

My main concerns are my GPA. I got 6.38/10 with couple of Fs and a few Cs and Ds. To make up for that, I took UCLA Stats (got an A) and will take micro and macro. I also took the GRE recently and got 166q/157v/4.0aw. Another concern is that Im right now 28 (will be 29 in Nov)-- does age really matter?

What do you guys think? Should I apply this year and see what happens?

Or take an extra year, building work experience (possibly retake the GRE). Will that make a difference? 

My aim is to ideally go to a top school, spend as less money as possible and work for a few years abroad, ideally in an international NGO or multilateral.

If you are more than 2-3 years out of college, your performance professionally matters much much more than your GPA. Most schools don't even ask for an academic reference if you have been out of college too long. If you can explain why the GPA is low in the optional statement, it won't be a deal breaker as such. Your GRE is fine anyway.

My question is: with this work experience you'd also be a fine candidate for MPA (at HKS, etc) if your quant is good. Why don't you consider that? 
Also, did you do any work related to public service before January 2015? if not, was the work done post that substantial enough?

7 hours ago, brown queer said:

If you are more than 2-3 years out of college, your performance professionally matters much much more than your GPA. Most schools don't even ask for an academic reference if you have been out of college too long. If you can explain why the GPA is low in the optional statement, it won't be a deal breaker as such. Your GRE is fine anyway.

My question is: with this work experience you'd also be a fine candidate for MPA (at HKS, etc) if your quant is good. Why don't you consider that? 
Also, did you do any work related to public service before January 2015? if not, was the work done post that substantial enough?

I have decided to not apply this year. By next year, when I do apply, I'll close to four years of work experience (2.5 years in a think tank, and close to 1 year in a fellowship working for a Member of Parliament in his constituency, and some volunteer work). I would like to think my work ex post Jan 2015 is substantial but pre Jan 2015 was completely unrelated.

The only reason I'm not applying this year is that I'd like to make myself as competitive as possible to top schools, be in contention for fellowships at these schools and gain more work-ex. Applying to schools are by themselves an expensive process (in terms of time and money) so I'd like to make the most of it.

3 hours ago, invincible49 said:

I have decided to not apply this year. By next year, when I do apply, I'll close to four years of work experience (2.5 years in a think tank, and close to 1 year in a fellowship working for a Member of Parliament in his constituency, and some volunteer work). I would like to think my work ex post Jan 2015 is substantial but pre Jan 2015 was completely unrelated.

The only reason I'm not applying this year is that I'd like to make myself as competitive as possible to top schools, be in contention for fellowships at these schools and gain more work-ex. Applying to schools are by themselves an expensive process (in terms of time and money) so I'd like to make the most of it.

Were you a LAMP fellow too? :)