2008 Anthro PhD Applicants

Blakkbug,

Yep, Friday's the day. I had a slew of emails back and forth with the department secretary, because ETS didn't send my stupid GRE scores to them.

Of course, who knows when they'll notify. Seems like there's two schools of thought...either put them out of their misery right away with an unofficial email, or the folks that submit candidates to the grad school and wait for all the paperwork to clear before notifying.

I've sure got my fingers crossed, though. My partner is a Katrina evacuee and we were living between Kentucky and Louisiana for the first year after the storm, but eventually had to give up our apartment in New Orleans. She desperately wants to go home. Plus, 3 years of decent funding is nothing to sneeze at.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm freaking out today too- last year, UCSB and Columbia both notified tomorrow, but it was a Wednesday last year- which means it's the equivalent of today. crap. and apparantly UW notified last year starting earlier this week- but no one's heard anything yet. AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is horrible. i wish i were into meditation or something- i wonder if that would even help at this point.

Blakkbug, have you heard anything from WUSTL? Anything about interviews or admissions decisions?

I haven't heard anything from WUSTL! I'm still waiting on every single school, and I actually had a nightmare the other night that I got a call on my cell phone from the professor I met with at Arizona, telling me I didn't get in. I guess that this is affecting me more than I thought...

Wow, after talking myself down for the past few months, I really, really needed this week ... Yesterday I got an email from a prof at UCSD telling me I'm in with funding (official letter to come). Three positive results so far, and still waiting on 7 more schools. I'm surprised and delighted, but nervous as hell about hearing from my top choices.

Crossing fingers for everyone here ... Hope you get an email that makes you smile soon!

Gross. I have no idea when my top schools are meeting to decide but if I did I'm sure it would drive me to insanity.

But! Today is the day I mentally fixed for hearing from Florida, so basically I'm on pins and needles waiting. Of course if I don't hear I'll be crushed. :P

Sounds great! I think my mom is going to kill me if I call any more to see if there are any letters in the mail for me! (I had everything send to my house instead of at school- the campus mail system makes me nervous!)

I can't wait to start hearing from more schools! But I know the ones I want to go to the most won't be sending stuff out for a while.

Has anyone heard from NYU? I'm waiting on that decision more than any of the others, and I think my hair is starting to fall out from the stress. :|

Seems that one applicant has reported rejection today (via contact with professor). I wrote to ask about the decision making time frame, and their answer is :

"** When will I learn the admissions decision?

The Graduate School forwards your application to the department for consideration. The Graduate School does not provide the status of applications online, nor does it provide admissions decisions online, by email or by telephone. Applicants will be notified of all admission decisions by mail. The mailing of decisions varies by department. Most doctoral programs make their decisions in February and March. They arrange to have decisions mailed by mid- to late March. Master's and non-degree programs make their decisions at different times, beginning in late February.

Graduate Enrollment Services"

Hopefully the letter is on the way, though I don't konw whether it is rej or offer.

:?

PLEASE, HELP!

WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND OF THIS?

"First-round Anthropology offers are in preparation

this week (they will be sent informally by e-mail

by the chair of the faculty admissions committee);

I believe they were posted yesterday, Thursday."

WHAT COULD "POSTED" MEAN IN THIS CONTEXT?

THANKS!

PLEASE, HELP!

WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND OF THIS?

"First-round Anthropology offers are in preparation

this week (they will be sent informally by e-mail

by the chair of the faculty admissions committee);

I believe they were posted yesterday, Thursday."

WHAT COULD "POSTED" MEAN IN THIS CONTEXT?

THANKS!

Sent via post.

Has anyone heard from NYU? I'm waiting on that decision more than any of the others, and I think my hair is starting to fall out from the stress. :|

They have set up phone interviews with the semi-finalists. Someone has posted it on the results section today. I didn't get the email, so I assume that I was kicked out.Alas........

To add my experience here...

I was rejected from UTexas PhD on Wednesday by the website and Syracuse PhD by post. I'm really sad because Syracuse was one of my bottom choices. I don't think this means good things for my other apps. I had several reach schools I don't expect to get into, and then Stony Brook IDPAS, for which the results pages has two entries, a week and a half ago. I am really upset because Stony was my top choice for several reasons. I am archaeology.

It is starting to get late, and I am really tempted to call Stony. One of my professors sent in his rec late, and the Graduate Advisor said it was fine but to get it in as soon as possible.

If I don't get in anywhere, I don't know what I'll do. I graduated in Dec..so I have time off to work. CRM is looking mighty tempting right now.

Good Luck everyone.