From Marketing to Sociology?

O.AB

Hi everyone,

I’m deciding whether to apply for a Ph.D. in sociology with my background. I have a BS in Finance (GPA 3.0) and I recently I have received an M.S. in Marketing Analytics from the University of Rochester (GPA 3.5) on a Fulbright grant. I am interested in studying the impact of western popular culture on identity formation amongst underprivileged ethnic and sexual minorities in the Middle East.

I’m worried that my unrelated academic background, my mediocre GRE scores (50th percentile), and my lack of research experience will affect my prospects in securing a sociology (or maybe anthropology) Ph.D. admission, any insights, experiences, and tips about changing disciplines is highly appreciated. 

Thanks

It happens all the time, people change their fields and explain why and how in their SOPs and demonstrate their potential for the new field. 

Edited by Baloch

You'll see that sociology programs tend to be quite eclectic when it comes to backgrounds. As long as you can argue for why you want to move over to sociology (and preferably connect that transition to your previous degree/work), your academic background should not be what is hindering you. The other factors you mention will play much more of a role though. GRE scores in the 50th percentile range are not going to impress anybody and are probably below the cut-off of a lot of the better schools. Your GPA doesn't sound very exceptional either (at least if you're undergrad was done at a US school). If you're sure you want to do a PhD, I think the way to go might be to take some time to up those GRE scores and preferably gain some research experience over the course of the next year or so. At least for most of the T25 programs that would probably be needed to make a solid case for yourself. Depending on your time frame another masters degree (this time in soc) could be a way to signal your intent to move into sociology, help you figure out if it's what you want to do, and get you to do some research (just make sure not to take on debt for this ;)).

Edited by European Lumpi