transfer?

ezridax

How difficult is it to transfer from one SW school to another, has anyone done it, what was transferring credits like?

I am just about to finish my first semester at UPenn and I'm just not sure it's for me. The program is not as diverse or anti-oppression as I was expecting.

Grad schools in general are frustrating to transfer between. 

recommendations

You will need recommendations from your current program into a new program. That means discussing your reason to transfer with current professors and developing a relationship that makes a good LOR.

transfer credit

Furthermore, credit doesn't transfer as easily as it does in UGRAD. Most programs require a copy of the syllabus of every class you want transfer credit it, and they compare it individually. Transfer credits are examined AFTER you are admitted. So many people expect they'll have a semester or year worth of transfer credits and only 1-2 classes.

flight risk

You need to sell yourself differently this time. You'll now look like a flight risk on a paper without a really good reason for leaving (such as a POI being unavailable). This goes doubly when you're leaving a top SW program with some of the best resources in the US.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to transferring master's programs, which is very different than transferring PhD programs. Social work and law are probably two of the few graduate programs where there is a set transfer process.

Only one person I knew at my master's program transferred. The big issues seem to be 1. Social work programs generally are not as diverse or anti-oppressive as many expect. This was a common issue at my program (UChicago). 2. Hiring, outside, of clinical, has basically nothing to do with what you learned during the master's program, and school name may be more important than learning anything, and 3. Other master's programs are unlikely to offer much (if any) financial support to transfer students.

You'd be surprised about the resources! 

Yeah, it's a master's program. I'm just wondering really, how much of a big deal it would be. The financial aid piece is a big one, good point >.<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, ezridax said:

How difficult is it to transfer from one SW school to another, has anyone done it, what was transferring credits like?

I am just about to finish my first semester at UPenn and I'm just not sure it's for me. The program is not as diverse or anti-oppression as I was expecting.

I'm feeling the exact same way about the program as well as the environment. I attend Upenn as well