Choosing between different jobs

samman1994

Hello everyone,

So I recently accepted a job (about a month ago, but started 2 weeks ago), just to have a job and get some money until I find another job. It's a typical 8am-5pm Mon-Fri work schedule. I have also been on the lookout for a better job (both more appealing and better pay) as well. I have been getting a lot of phone interviews, and before I had started this job, was able to do in person interviews as well. A few problems have arisen however, that I don't quite know how to deal with. I currently have 3 potential job offers (not offers, but have finished the interview process and am awaiting a decision), and I already have them ranked from most desired to least desired. Regardless, they are all better than my current job, and would gladly accept any of them if offered the position. The problem is, one of them told me they would tell me their decision by next week, and the other 2 jobs would tell me their decision the week after that. So to make it easier:

Job 1: Most desired job, decision will be given 2 weeks from now

Job 2: Less desired job, decision will be given 2 weeks from now

Job 3: Least desired job, decision will be given 1 week from now

The problem arises in regards to, what happens if Job 3 says yes? Ideally, I'd love to tell them I'll give them my decision in 2 weeks (once I've heard back from Job 1 and 2), but will that be looked upon negatively? Job 3 does have a deadline they are looking to hire, and the decision of Job 1 and 2 will be very close to that deadline. Will I lose Job 3s offer if I say I want to wait a week before giving them my decision? Otherwise, the only other option would be to say yes to them, and then quit (like my current job), when Job 1 and 2 say yes (if they did), which is something I'd rather avoid. I'd also have to tell them I can't start immediately because I have a job (which I didn't say in my interview because I didn't have a job then), and would be able to start 2 weeks after I gave my decision because of the 2 week notice. Will that also be looked upon negatively?

Overall, I don't want to give my 2 week notice until I have a decision from all 3 jobs so I can pick and choose between the jobs (which means I'd say yes to job 1 but no to the rest), but due to timing that may not be possible. I could theoretically say yes to all of them and basically leap frog my way from one company to the next when they make their decisions, but that would be a waste of time for the company, and I just feel bad about doing it. On top of all this, it's been immensly difficult to plan anything with these companies because of my current job (all the companies I'm applying to are Mon-Fri 8-5), so I don't even think I'd even be able to apply to get anything after these 3 job offers. 

I'm just curious as to the best course of action in this scenario. Also, as a side note, what is the best way to even go out looking for a job when you currently have one? How do you schedule the interviews when everyones work schedule coincides with your work schedule? Sure I guess you could do sick days or something, but I just started so that doesn't apply to me. ANyways, thank you ahead of time as always!

Congratulations on getting a job!

Since you are asking for "best practices" advice, let me first say that you probably should not have taken the job you currently have if you are still on the market for more jobs. It's pretty bad behaviour to be immediately looking for other jobs when you just started something. I am not sure if your current job is related to these three other jobs and/or your future intended job path.

If your current job is in the field you want to work in the future and if the employer offered it intending it to be more than just very temporary, then I think it is best to not burn any bridges. Especially since you have plans for graduate school and will leave in a year anyways, I'm not certain it's a good idea to switch at this point.

If all parties have considered it to be a temporary thing (a few weeks/months) or if the job is not in your field, then maybe still consider the job change. You will still likely piss off people at your current work and if your new work finds out about what you did, it will still reflect poorly on you. But if this change is so important to you, you will have to weigh the risks vs. reward. At least if the job is not in your field, you may be able to just hide it from your employment record. However, depending on what you want to apply to in the future, it might not be hidden forever. For example, some government positions may require you to disclose all previous employers.

If the difference between current job and Jobs 1-3 is really big (i.e. worth potentially burning these bridges) then maybe you should resign from current job now and dedicate your time to finding a job you actually will stay at for more than a month. This will also prevent the awkwardness of letting jobs 1 or 2 know that you are going to quit a job you just started.

If the difference is small and you need the guaranteed income, then it is probably not worth burning bridges. In that case, perhaps just staying in your current job until grad school is the best option.

-----

To answer this question:

1 hour ago, samman1994 said:

Overall, I don't want to give my 2 week notice until I have a decision from all 3 jobs so I can pick and choose between the jobs (which means I'd say yes to job 1 but no to the rest), but due to timing that may not be possible. I could theoretically say yes to all of them and basically leap frog my way from one company to the next when they make their decisions, but that would be a waste of time for the company, and I just feel bad about doing it. On top of all this, it's been immensly difficult to plan anything with these companies because of my current job (all the companies I'm applying to are Mon-Fri 8-5), so I don't even think I'd even be able to apply to get anything after these 3 job offers.

Do **not** do this leapfrogging thing. It is highly unprofessional and if employers/recruiters know about this, they will be much less likely to hire you. If you end up deciding to leave your current job to pursue one of these three, here would be the best course of action:

First, when you get the phone call notifying you about the job, remember that you should not have to make a decision on the spot (if so, that's kind of fishy!). Be enthusiastic, thank them for the opportunity and say that you would like some time to process it. Maybe they will give you a deadline to respond, otherwise, ask if you can call back tomorrow if you have any questions.

Then, call up Job #1. Tell them that you really enjoyed interviewing with them and ask if there has been any update on your application. You can then also inform them that you just got an offer from another place and that the other place wants you to respond by <deadline>. Tell Job #1 that you remain very interested in their opening and would like to know if you would get a decision by <deadline> or if not, please let you know when they would know.

If Job #1 tells you that you are no longer in the running for the job, thank them for their time and do the same thing with Job #2. However, if Job #1 is still possible, don't call Job #2 yet. In my opinion, by making a request like this, you are basically signalling that if offered, you will take their job, so if you do this to Job #2 while Job #1 is still in the running, you might not be able to commit to #2.

If Job #1 tells you that you will know by <deadline>, then thank them and wait until <deadline>. If necessary, follow up with Job #3 at an appropriate time to let them know that you're still interested and ask them any questions you have. You can tell them you'll respond by their deadline if that was not already clear.

If Job #1 tells you that you will know by <some date after deadline>, then thank them for the update. Then, call back to Job #3 and ask if you can respond by <job 1 deadline> instead. It's up to you whether to do this right after hearing from Job #1 (i.e. within a day or two of the initial offer) or wait until closer to the deadline. It's also up to you whether or not you reveal that you are waiting to hear back from another job (you don't want to pass on the impression that you only want their position because you got nothing else better). But if you are directly asked, maybe being honest is good. This part is tricky, maybe others have good advice.

I believe this order will maximize the chances of getting the job you want while maintaining professionalism and courtesy. Note that there is a possibility that you must decide on Job #3 before you know about Job #1. Such is life / real world job market. At that point, you will have to decide whether a guaranteed job #3 is worth more than the possibility of job #1 (or #2). Tough call. Luckily, it's only a year so it's not like you're stuck forever.

---

Finally, in response to:

1 hour ago, samman1994 said:

Also, as a side note, what is the best way to even go out looking for a job when you currently have one? How do you schedule the interviews when everyones work schedule coincides with your work schedule? Sure I guess you could do sick days or something, but I just started so that doesn't apply to me. ANyways, thank you ahead of time as always!

You have to take personal days, sick days or vacation days to do this. If location works, maybe a lunch break. If you have flexible hours, then maybe start/leave early or start/leave late. I know plenty of people who need to find new jobs while working. It's always awkward but understood to be part of the process. Note that most companies will not allow you to take sick days for interviews so you'll have to be smart about that. This is another reason why it's a terrible idea to try to find a new job when you have just started one. You won't have these days off and unexplained absences early on is very questionable. I mean what's done is done now, but for others reading this or for your future job searches, it generally causes more trouble than it's worth to try to change jobs within a few months of starting. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do since there's bills to pay etc.

I just want to emphasize one more thing: Obviously do not use any of current company resources or time to conduct these interviews/job searches. Don't use their phones, their computers, their printers etc. It's not unheard of for a current employee to lose both their current position and their job offer if their current employer finds out and tells their new prospective employer.

Thanks for the response! So to provide more detail, and why I don't feel particulary bad about leaving my current job high and dry (I think that's the saying). I am looking to pursue the biochem field, but was having some difficulty getting a position I really liked, but I did need to start having some money (running low on savings). So I pursued a data entry position (literally just typing), a 2 month contract job, with a recruiter. I told the recruiter I want to go into Biochem, and I'm taking this job literally only because I have not found anything better, and will leave as soon as I find a better job. The recruiter agreed to my terms, we set a interview with the company, and they gave me the job and I said yes. This job will only be for 2 months regardless (unless they want to take me on afterwards), so I will never have any sick/vacation days for getting another job. All this being said, my recruiter is fully aware that I am planning on leaving asap. The only potential bridge I'd burn would be with the recruiting company itself (the other company is in no way related to my field); however, it is something I'd be willing to do if I was able to get a job with a desired good company. Because the decision times are so close, my only issue was whether or not it would be appropriate to ask Job 3 to wait. I just need to hear the decisions of Job 1 and 2 (or Job 1 if its a yes), and that'll be enough for me to get everything rolling, but I didn't want to lose Job 3, then find out Job 1 and 2 are no's and now I'm stuck with my current job for the next 2 months. 

Ah okay. Yeah then it sounds like current job is one of the "exception" cases where it's probably worth burning the bridge. I think what I wrote above regarding timing of Job 3 offer vs. 1 & 2 would still work out for you. Even though your current data entry position is only 2 months, I probably wouldn't mention it to Jobs 1-3 unless you were directly asked or something.

Hopefully there will be no breach-of-contract problem for you if you resign before the 2 months is up. Maybe you can even have your Job 1 start date (if you get it) be after the 2 months is up, since it will only be another month between their decision and your two month contract ending. Good luck :)

Well I'd prefer to start Job 1 asap. I find my current job a waste of time (both enjoyment, money, and career wise). I don't think there should be any breach of contract, since I made it very clear to my recruiter I plan to leave before my 2 months was even up (I planned to hopefully get a better job by then). I just know at a minimum the contracts I signed stated I did need to indicated 10 days before I left (2 week notice).

Thank you! I should hear back from them all within 2 weeks, and hopefully Job 3 will wait the week required to hear back from job 2 and 3. 

@TakeruK did an excellent response. I wanted to speak a little bit to your side note here for future job hunting information.

15 hours ago, samman1994 said:

Also, as a side note, what is the best way to even go out looking for a job when you currently have one? How do you schedule the interviews when everyones work schedule coincides with your work schedule? Sure I guess you could do sick days or something, but I just started so that doesn't apply to me. ANyways, thank you ahead of time as always!

I always have resumes out for new jobs that are a professional step forward. However, an important question is whether you are looking at a company change or a promotional (internal) job. Either way, wait until your probationary period is done, but you need to be cautious of different things if it is an internal application.  If it is a company change, absolutely follow @TakeruK's advice. You cannot be doing the job hunt on the job. Do not use company time, computer access, etc. You also need to take personal time for interviews - which makes scheduling more difficult.  

If it is a promotional change, then you are interviewing every day of your life. Every meeting, every assignment, every time to open the door for a co-worker and converse casually in the lunch room. Every day is about networking and creating a reputation at that company. At around the 4-5 months employed mark, I started meeting with department directors and managers who aligned with my professional goals. It was an informal interview where we discussed what the department does, what my background and experience is, and how I would "fit" with that department. From that, I've narrowed down promotions to really two different department I would apply for. Several companies allow, and prefer, to see you do that networking on company time. It is considered a part of collaboration and interagency network development. Other companies frown on it.

This past week, I had a promotional interview during work hours (Manager of a, third, new department). My director and the company Chief Program Officer scheduled it from 3:30-4:30. We discussed my meetings with other departments and it was looked highly upon as me being a "team player" taking "initiative" and being "collaborative." Not all companies are that lenient or encourage a lot of upward mobility, but if they do, your growth is contingent on being in it to win it every day on the job.

Edited by _kita