SSRC 2018

Deina

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has ever applied for an SSRC while they were already in the field as an extension of their fieldwork. And if successful, how did you frame it in your application?

8 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Master's or doctoral level? I got SSHRC at the master's level, currently a scholar. 

They might be talking about a Social Science Research Council (SSRC) fellowship in the US (not Canada's SSHRC). Also, you can see they are attending an American university.

Edited by PsychBoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-11-06 at 10:06 PM, PsychBoy said:

They might be talking about a Social Science Research Council (SSRC) fellowship in the US (not Canada's SSHRC). Also, you can see they are attending an American university.

Oh I see. Sorry for the confusion.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received transcript request 1/26. Some colleagues already received rejection letters. If you have not heard back yet, it likely means you did not make it to the second round. Transcript requests mean you made it to second round. Who here knows how many people make it to the second round, and how many of those are awarded the grant? 

• 4 weeks later...

Received transcript request around 1/26. Still waiting. I think late March/early April is when they announce. 

Regarding second round success rates: from two years ago, the last time I applied, I read on the academic jobs Wiki that the second round involves only about 200 proposals, of which something like 75-80 are funded, which puts the success rate around 40%. Not sure about the validity of those numbers now. 

Edited by jmg433

On 2018/2/19 at 7:16 PM, PSD said:

Received transcript request 1/26. Some colleagues already received rejection letters. If you have not heard back yet, it likely means you did not make it to the second round. Transcript requests mean you made it to second round. Who here knows how many people make it to the second round, and how many of those are awarded the grant? 

Just to add to that, both myself and the others I know that applied for the IDRF received rejection emails on 1/31, and then the SSRC sent me a second rejection (lol) by snail mail in the week after that. If you haven't heard anything at all, it might be worthwhile to contact them. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, jmg433 said:

Received transcript request around 1/26. Still waiting. I think late March/early April is when they announce. 

Regarding second round success rates: from two years ago, the last time I applied, I read on the academic jobs Wiki that the second round involves only about 200 proposals, of which something like 75-80 are funded, which puts the success rate around 40%. Not sure about the validity of those numbers now. 

Thanks. That is my understanding, too. I can't see how the second round success rate would be too different from one year to the next. Do you happen to know, though, if the criteria change in any way? I believe the first round is reviewers only from your field, whereas the second is an interdisciplinary panel. And I guess that letters of recommendation are perhaps more important in the second round (where all proposals are supposed to be generally strong already) than in the first, as a way of filtering good from excellent candidates. Any thoughts? Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...