cgslp

Question

So as I am in the midst of getting my applications for graduate school (for speech pathology) figured out, I realized that I have no idea what I should have professors highlight in my letters of recommendation (in terms of when they ask you - what would you like highlighted to set you apart?) 

I was wondering, should you have every professor writing you letters (i.e. - 3) try to highlight something different thats on your resume/that you think it important about you, or should you have them all focus on the same thing?

For example, I have experience in working with stroke patients through a volunteer program. Should I only have the professor I work with in this program write about this in my letter of rec, or should I have all three touch on it? 

Thank you!!!!!!! And best of luck to everyone applying. Almost done with it!

2 answers to this question

Wait, your professors asked you about this, or you're just going to try and volunteer this information? Professors will usually have a lot of experience writing LORs and may not appreciate your opinion on what to put in the letter. You could ask them to make sure they highlight/address aspect X of your profile -- in which case, it only makes sense to ask someone to do that if they can actually speak to it directly and in detail. You may also just leave it up to them to do as they see fit. Either way, be careful how you phrase this request. 

Bottom line: only ask someone to highlight an aspect of your application if they actually know the details. So, don't ask all three of your writers to talk about your research experience if only one of them directed the study. The others may mention it or they may not, but really it's the opinion of the prof who knows the details that matters most. 

On 11/8/2017 at 1:34 AM, fuzzylogician said:

Wait, your professors asked you about this, or you're just going to try and volunteer this information? Professors will usually have a lot of experience writing LORs and may not appreciate your opinion on what to put in the letter. You could ask them to make sure they highlight/address aspect X of your profile -- in which case, it only makes sense to ask someone to do that if they can actually speak to it directly and in detail. You may also just leave it up to them to do as they see fit. Either way, be careful how you phrase this request. 

Bottom line: only ask someone to highlight an aspect of your application if they actually know the details. So, don't ask all three of your writers to talk about your research experience if only one of them directed the study. The others may mention it or they may not, but really it's the opinion of the prof who knows the details that matters most. 

They did ask me about things to highlight. But thank you! That actually makes sense. It would be silly to have a professor write about a certain experience I have if they were not able to observe me in it.