Transferring to another program

Sheldon2017

Hello all,

I am a Ph.D. student in a low-ranked program and want to transfer, and in fact, apply to a better school (because all schools ask students to apply even if they are already in a doctoral program so it is literally a new application). I have two questions for those who are familiar with this issue. First, do I need to mention in my SOP or CV that I am currently a Ph.D. student? Second, I have a paper under review in a journal which is based on a survey. Also, I published a piece in a very well-known political science blog. Finally, I have collected three original data-sets. Would it help if I highlight them in my SOP?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sheldon2017

You shouldn't hide what you're currently doing and you should address why you want to attend this other program in your SOP (and have your rec writers mention it too). I don't know that it makes sense to highlight those other things in your SOP unless you're tying them into the broader narrative about what it is you want to study and why.

• 3 months later...

Hi Sheldon,

I am an undergraduate, and my applications for 2018 fall are not good. I plan to accept a low rank Ph.D, and then try to apply again for better Ph.D programs. I'm really unsure about this. I'm so thrilled to find similar situations like me. Could you tell me the situation and result of your transferring? Thank you!

5 hours ago, Green Cat said:

Hi Sheldon,

I am an undergraduate, and my applications for 2018 fall are not good. I plan to accept a low rank Ph.D, and then try to apply again for better Ph.D programs. I'm really unsure about this. I'm so thrilled to find similar situations like me. Could you tell me the situation and result of your transferring? Thank you!

Don't do it. If you really don't want to attend a low-ranking program just decline the offer and enter the next cycle. 

6 hours ago, Green Cat said:

Why do you think your applications did not work out? I think that it is key to figure that out before deciding whether to accept the low ranked department proposal or not.

I know people who have successfully received an MA in one department and then, started another MA/PhD at a new department successfully. However, you could also avoid that (and 2-3 years of your life) and figure out what was wrong with your application and do something this year to improve your applications for the next round.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:29 AM, Comparativist said:

Don't do it. If you really don't want to attend a low-ranking program just decline the offer and enter the next cycle. 

On 3/8/2018 at 3:24 AM, MrsPhD said:

Why do you think your applications did not work out? I think that it is key to figure that out before deciding whether to accept the low ranked department proposal or not.

I know people who have successfully received an MA in one department and then, started another MA/PhD at a new department successfully. However, you could also avoid that (and 2-3 years of your life) and figure out what was wrong with your application and do something this year to improve your applications for the next round.

Both of you referred it was not good to enter a low ranking program and prepare for next round. 

My major is polymer materials and engineering, and I'm applying for Chem/MSE/Chem Engineering PhD. 

I think your advise makes some sense, but I don't know whether it's a good choice, or in other word, I'm a bit scared to do so. Will those schools regard me the same as the undergraduates at the next round, or be more strict with me? What could I do in such a blank year? Maybe I could apply for summer experiments in good graduate schools, which many competitive candidates did last summer. And I could do better in language scores, but my low GPA couldn't be changed any more. Yeah, there seems a lot to do, though it really takes me some courage to decide. You know, as I'm to be busy preparing next year's application, most of my fellows have started their brand new journey. What if I couldn't do better at the next round?Will this additional year be wasteful? Do you know any one gapping a year and trying again for the next round? Could you introduce s/he to me?

And why shouldn't I go to low-ranking program first and then apply to a higher one? Some of my friends say it will be a better applying platform if I go to America first, while now I'm in China. What do you think of this? And is the transferring available only after finishing the master degree(2~3years), or in the first year of Ph.D?

I have so many questions, and I appreciate it so much if you could be so patient to reply to me!