Sociology PhD Safe Schools in Northeast?

eilonwy21

Question

This is really late, I know, to still be considering this - but after vacillating back and forth on what I considered my safe school (UMass) - I found out they don't offer tuition stipend at all except through loans. And honestly it doesn't feel worth it to pay loans&  be in debt for a safe school. So now that I cut that, I have all my reach schools but no safe schools and I feel like this puts me in jeopardy. Can anyone recommend any schools/programs for PhD Sociology that is still a good program but can be considered a safe school to apply to? Preferably in the Northeast - I live in NYC, and I am applying to one in NJ (Rutgers), Penn, three in Boston, MA, and one in NYC. Appreciate it, thanks.

1 answer to this question

From http://www.umass.edu/sociology/graduate/admissions/funding

Departmental funding comes in the form of Teaching Assistantships, which include a tuition credit, health benefits, and a stipend for grading or teaching work; these are available to U.S. citizens and foreign students. We make every effort to support all of our students for five years, contingent on their progress in the program. Some positions may also be available for those who are “above eligibility” (past five years), depending on our needs in any given semester.