Diversity Statement: What can I write in here?

I found there's one optional diversity statement in the application to Yale. Though I'm an international Asian female, I do not consider myself to have come from a "diverse" background in terms of socioeconomic status, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. On top of this, I didn't really do much community work during college. So here are my questions about the diversity statement:

1. Can I write about my experience on a private rather than community level for the diversity statement? Although I'm a STEM major, I also studied classics as a minor, and I love sharing perspectives I learned from Roman history (for example) with my friends. Of a similar note, I organized workshops when I was back in Asia to introduce local high school students to western philosophy (which is rarely touched upon in classes). I also enjoy good theatres and sharing my thoughts about them with my friends because I think theatre is a good way for us to learn about what other human beings think and feel. So I can try to spin these experiences in a way that show my interest in bridging the communication between different cultures and help people to learn more from the less familiar side? But I'm not sure if such pedestrian experience (is it?) is really worth talking about, which brings me to the next question-

2.Should I write the diversity statement? After all, it is optional and I've heard sayings that it is more for domestic students, diversity is a term with American context, etc. I do not know whether it would hurt my application more not writing the diversity statement, or writing a mediocre one. 

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing feedback from y'all.

• 4 weeks later...

@JacquelineY I'm having trouble with this too. I am American and I really don't know what to put in the diversity statement. It's complicated because diversity really depends on what your perspective is. I have a number of things I *could* put here (mixed race, multicultural household, from rural USA, homeschooled through 12th grade) but I'm not sure what Yale considers diversity. All these things are normal for me, lol. 

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, but be assured there are Americans who are equally confused.