CCV for tri-council funding

Clinpsyc01

Hey fellow Canadians! 

When you completed the CCV, did you include all of your non-academic work experience? I'm debating including some things because they aren't very relevant, but it also might look strange if there are gaps in my CV. 

I did not include non-academic work experience in my CCV. However, the first time I did a CCV was for post-doctoral applications (my previous grad school tri-council applications were before the time of CCVs). I don't think non-academic employment is particularly relevant for tri-council funding at the grad level or beyond. My understanding is that the CCV is like other academic CVs we might create and it's not meant to be a complete accounting of every month/year of our life, only the academic ones.

But I guess it really does depend on where the gaps are and what the rest of your history looks like. If I remember correctly, there are separate categories/headers for academic and non-academic employment, so even if you put in the non-academic stuff, the academic history will still have gaps. I think it's fine though.

12 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

I did not include non-academic work experience in my CCV. However, the first time I did a CCV was for post-doctoral applications (my previous grad school tri-council applications were before the time of CCVs). I don't think non-academic employment is particularly relevant for tri-council funding at the grad level or beyond. My understanding is that the CCV is like other academic CVs we might create and it's not meant to be a complete accounting of every month/year of our life, only the academic ones.

But I guess it really does depend on where the gaps are and what the rest of your history looks like. If I remember correctly, there are separate categories/headers for academic and non-academic employment, so even if you put in the non-academic stuff, the academic history will still have gaps. I think it's fine though.

Thanks! I think you're right- my random summer and early undergrad jobs won't add anything to my application, and the gaps aren't anything that would be a big deal. 

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

What kind of non-academic experiences are you referring to? 

For me, it was working at a car parts warehouse (car dealers order parts to fix customer cars, we put the orders into boxes and ship them) and working at a youth summer camp. There was also some private tutoring and working for the on-campus tutoring service (run by the student government, tutors paid by student government, free for students). I included it in my regular CV for grad school apps but no longer have it on my CV post-PhD.

I think you make a good point and I was going to come back to expand to say something like, if someone has a gap between undergrad and grad school and they worked in a non-academic setting but something that made use of their degree, then I would probably include it. But if it was something like my experience above then I wouldn't include it.