Schools that look at the whole picture NOT just stats???

fl317

My stats are not the highest but I have a lot of experience and volunteer/ leadership experience as well as strong letters of rec etc....

I was wondering if anyone knew of schools that look at the application in its entirety and don't rely as heavily on  just your numbers scores etc. 

Any help would be great!!

I'm in the same position. I'm praying at least two PhD programs see how much I can offer to the program and stop giving so many s***s about a GRE score. It always feels sort of unfair when you have all of this relevant experience, great LORs, research, great GPA, *YOU NAME IT*, even teaching abroad but somehow they get stuck on the score from a 4 hour test. It's kind of ridiculous and IMO at times feels like proof of financial ability more than anything(I know plenty of ppl who took the GRE 4-5 times after taking $1000 prep classes...I can't afford that nor do I have the time ://). 

REGARDLESS:

I would suggest looking at lesser-known programs, although it doesn't guarantee an interview. Also reading what each program wants applicants to have helps a lot. Some programs will even state they look "holistically" at applicants rather than cutting people off at their GRE scores. If you happen to be in the clinician realm and willing to be an Doctor of MFT (DMFT), Loma Linda U. does not require a GRE for admission. So, if you do some reeeeal digging (I mean eyes starting to hurt because you've been looking at the screen so long), you'll find there are diamonds in the rough. But you've gotta dig. Something else worth considering is looking into different programs that can get you where you want to be but are possibly less competitive. Ex: If you're interested in research, trying a PhD in Sociology or Human Development and Family Studies instead of Psychology. Consider the alternatives and look outside of the box. Also, making sure you're gearing your SOP, CV, LORS, etc. to the specific programs is super important. Programs, especially "holistic" programs, want to know you're passionate about them, so every document you send needs to be customized to the program.The first time I applied to PhD programs, I scoffed, thought I was special, sent in apps that were almost identical, and was promptly rejected. Take my losses from my first round of failure as direction. Regardless, best of luck in program hunting and hopefully someone gives people like us a chance ;) 

P.S.-I'm assuming you're going for your PhD, what field are you looking into?

Edited by TammyTams

1 hour ago, TammyTams said:

I'm in the same position. I'm praying at least two PhD programs see how much I can offer to the program and stop giving so many s***s about a GRE score. It always feels sort of unfair when you have all of this relevant experience, great LORs, research, great GPA, *YOU NAME IT*, even teaching abroad but somehow they get stuck on the score from a 4 hour test. It's kind of ridiculous and IMO at times feels like proof of financial ability more than anything(I know plenty of ppl who took the GRE 4-5 times after taking $1000 prep classes...I can't afford that nor do I have the time ://). 

REGARDLESS:

I would suggest looking at lesser-known programs, although it doesn't guarantee an interview. Also reading what each program wants applicants to have helps a lot. Some programs will even state they look "holistically" at applicants rather than cutting people off at their GRE scores. If you happen to be in the clinician realm and willing to be an Doctor of MFT (DMFT), Loma Linda U. does not require a GRE for admission. So, if you do some reeeeal digging (I mean eyes starting to hurt because you've been looking at the screen so long), you'll find there are diamonds in the rough. But you've gotta dig. Something else worth considering is looking into different programs that can get you where you want to be but are possibly less competitive. Ex: If you're interested in research, trying a PhD in Sociology or Human Development and Family Studies instead of Psychology. Consider the alternatives and look outside of the box. Also, making sure you're gearing your SOP, CV, LORS, etc. to the specific programs is super important. Programs, especially "holistic" programs, want to know you're passionate about them, so every document you send needs to be customized to the program.The first time I applied to PhD programs, I scoffed, thought I was special, sent in apps that were almost identical, and was promptly rejected. Take my losses from my first round of failure as direction. Regardless, best of luck in program hunting and hopefully someone gives people like us a chance ;) 

P.S.-I'm assuming you're going for your PhD, what field are you looking into?

I completely agree with you about the GRE. It sucks that one standardized test could ruin 4 years of hard work for me...I do believe those types of tests put economically disadvantaged people in a tough spot. Glad I am not the only one :(. 

I found that the schools I applied to (in my signature) looked at the whole picture. I didn't have the best GPA, especially my first bachelors. However, I had years of experience working as an SLPA, a special education teacher, and an instructional assistant. I used that experience to convince the schools that I was a good fit for their program, and that I had solid reasons for going into the field.

I would also recommend looking into schools that conduct interviews, as that will allow you to be more than just words and numbers on paper. The schools will be better able to see your passion.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need reassurance. :)

23 minutes ago, slp2018 said:

I found that the schools I applied to (in my signature) looked at the whole picture. I didn't have the best GPA, especially my first bachelors. However, I had years of experience working as an SLPA, a special education teacher, and an instructional assistant. I used that experience to convince the schools that I was a good fit for their program, and that I had solid reasons for going into the field.

I would also recommend looking into schools that conduct interviews, as that will allow you to be more than just words and numbers on paper. The schools will be better able to see your passion.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need reassurance. :)

I am not sure if I already asked you this on another forum (if I have I apologize), would you mind telling me about your experience with Northern Arizona? I am seriously considering that university and would love to get any information about it. Thank you! 

On 12/1/2017 at 3:36 PM, Felice said:

I completely agree with you about the GRE. It sucks that one standardized test could ruin 4 years of hard work for me...I do believe those types of tests put economically disadvantaged people in a tough spot. Glad I am not the only one :(. 

I agree as well it is tough when it costs so much money and not everyone is a good test taker...but that doesn't mean they are not fit to be a great SLP... 

On 12/1/2017 at 3:14 PM, Felice said:

I am not sure if I already asked you this on another forum (if I have I apologize), would you mind telling me about your experience with Northern Arizona? I am seriously considering that university and would love to get any information about it. Thank you! 

I'm attending the summer program at NAU, so I won't be able to tell you much about the full time program if that's what you're looking into. However, I have absolutely loved my experience at NAU. Class sizes cap at around thirty, which gives the professors a chance to get to know you as more than just a name on a paper. They are knowledgable about their areas of specialty, and the school as a whole is pretty organized. I have enjoyed the summer program because it has allowed me to keep my full time job during the year, and I really feel like I get so much more out of my summer classes because I can immediately apply what I am learning after I get back home in the fall. I will be done next summer, so feel free to PM me with any additional questions about the application process or the school itself. And good luck with your applications!

1 hour ago, slp2018 said:

I'm attending the summer program at NAU, so I won't be able to tell you much about the full time program if that's what you're looking into. However, I have absolutely loved my experience at NAU. Class sizes cap at around thirty, which gives the professors a chance to get to know you as more than just a name on a paper. They are knowledgable about their areas of specialty, and the school as a whole is pretty organized. I have enjoyed the summer program because it has allowed me to keep my full time job during the year, and I really feel like I get so much more out of my summer classes because I can immediately apply what I am learning after I get back home in the fall. I will be done next summer, so feel free to PM me with any additional questions about the application process or the school itself. And good luck with your applications!

Thank you so much for sharing your insight! :D I'm glad you are having a good experience!