Any Chances to be accepted? LOW GRE Verbal

Mina91

Hello guys!

I am an International Student and I am going to apply for Computer Science PHD program, recently I have took GRE test and my scores are Q:164, V: 139 , Also I have scored 101 in TOEFL exam. Do I have any chance if I send my application with these scores in USA top 80 universities?

Your TOEFL score is above most colleges' cutoffs, so they may be willing to overlook the low verbal as not reflecting your ability to use English.  You'll never get in if you don't try.

I suppose I should say that some will be willing to overlook it, others won't, but I couldn't tell you which ones fall into which category.

Edited by LookingforMM

• 1 month later...

Your verbal score hardly masters for Compsci programs, but a 139 is a bit problematic. They will probably overlook it if your TOEFL is strong and your package is good. However, the quant score isn't as competitive for the top programs. I'd recommend a retake to try and get your Q score above 165 and V in at least the 145+ range. 

Best,

Tae@SherpaPrep