Will I get into a Psychology PhD program?

ashlee93

Question

Hi,

I'm new to this site so I am not sure if this is posted in the right area. Im worried about my chances of getting into a grad school. Im currently a psych undergrad junior. Cumulative GPA 3.45, Major GPA 3.9. However, I am a little behind in research and internships. My school doesn't allow students to do research or internships until junior year and since was not able to get into a clinical psych class last semester (pre-req for intern) I cannot do an internship this semester. However, I do plan on volunteering this semester, somewhere relevant to my graduate interests. I also plan on doing an internship over the summer 2018, fall 2018 and possibly spring 2019. I also plan on doing research both semesters of my senior year (fall '18, spring 19'.) Assuming this all goes according to plan, I keep my GPA where it is, and can do well on my GREs, is there a chance i can get into a PhD program in psychology (interested in either cognitive or developmental.)

Can anyone weigh in on my chances of getting into a PhD program from their personal experiences? Im very interested in Arizona States PhD program in cognitive psychology, but they don't report their grad acceptance rates, so I don't know if I stack up. 

1 answer to this question

It's hard to tell in general. Acceptance depends on a bunch of things, including GPA, GRE, research experience, Statements, References, CV, and so on. 

If you want to do cognitive psych, I wouldn't go for a clinical internship, but head for the research - it's more relevant. Do a thesis if possible. Your GPA seems fine (although ideally you want to have it 3.5>). Join some labs - even as a volunteer - to get experience but also to get to know potential letter writers and them to get to know you. Research experience will also allow you to figure out what exact direction you want to take with your PhD (i.e., narrow down your interest), which will help you to write a SoP. 

Even with all your bases covered, you may still be rejected. There are too many qualified applicants and they may just feel a better 'fit' with someone, or someone may have a background/training that fits better to a certain lab, etc. Don't take this personally and also apply to multiple schools.