UPenn English?

I was wondering if anyone have heard news from UPenn's English department? There's nothing posted from this year. However, if UPenn is indeed making 5 offers (can anyone verify this?), then it seems entirely plausible that none of the 5 might post their acceptance...and UPenn would go under the radar completely until the rest of us receive the rejection letter.

I think I gave up on UPenn long ago, but it would be nice to have closure on this season. Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

UPenn was a long-shot for me to begin with, and after hearing what my odds for admission were and not having received an offer even from my "easier" schools yet, I've pretty much given up.

I'd imagine that they will notify us through that "message" feature on the online application page. Usually with those systems you receive an email telling you to check the website, where you can see your admissions decision.

I guess we're all still waiting, although they're supposed to make all decisions in February...

Where did the rumor that they are only accepting 5 come from? The information on their website doesn't seem to give any indication that this year's class will be smaller than average... Did someone have an inside source or something?

Penn's committee is meeting this Thursday to make decisions. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you! This is good to know :)

Where did the rumor that they are only accepting 5 come from? The information on their website doesn't seem to give any indication that this year's class will be smaller than average... Did someone have an inside source or something?

The websites will virtually never broadcast that kind of information. I've heard it from 3 different sources, one of them being gradcafe. I'm not sure if it's 5 spots or 5 offers (or perhaps, both), but this strikes me as fairly accurate.

I have heard the "5" number from a very well-connected, reputable, source. There is no reason to doubt it.

Thank you! This is good to know :)

The websites will virtually never broadcast that kind of information. I've heard it from 3 different sources, one of them being gradcafe. I'm not sure if it's 5 spots or 5 offers (or perhaps, both), but this strikes me as fairly accurate.

I, too, independently have heard of the five offers at Penn. From what I've heard, it will be five offers, not five slots.

Same. I've heard this from two sources other than GradCafe, one within Penn and one with serious connections.

Same. I've heard this from two sources other than GradCafe, one within Penn and one with serious connections.

Five offers? Huh. It would serve them right if none of those chosen few accepted their offers. That number is so ridiculously low I feel that they should have published it on the website; most people on the board seem to have written them off entirely, making the application a waste of money.

Am I being unfair?

Five offers? Huh. It would serve them right if none of those chosen few accepted their offers. That number is so ridiculously low I feel that they should have published it on the website; most people on the board seem to have written them off entirely, making the application a waste of money.

Am I being unfair?

Yes, I suppose it would have been nice to know before applying. I for one didn't hear until a few weeks after I'd submitted my application.

Definitely agree, it would have been nice to specify what their plans for the incoming cohort were before having 700 people apply for it. U of Maryland had a nice disclaimer on their English Department website about incoming class size, MA-only applicants, etc. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing something this week. You never know.

But if Penn had made it known they were only making five offers, they would have lost out on application fees from at least of few of their 700 hopefuls! Why would they want that?

Good to know they're meeting on Thursday - I've been particularly looking forward to their rejection.

But if Penn had made it known they were only making five offers, they would have lost out on application fees from at least of few of their 700 hopefuls! Why would they want that?

Good to know they're meeting on Thursday - I've been particularly looking forward to their rejection.

LOL!! :lol::lol::lol:

Not to derail this thread but when did you find out about Cornell?

I spoke too soon - I just received an offer of admission from Cornell by email (from Michele Mannella, their Graduate Programs Coordinator). Good luck to everyone still waiting on Cornell! I wondered for a while today if the snowstorm hitting Philadelphia would delay Penn's decisions, but as of now the campus is still open, so I think it's reasonable to expect to hear by the end of the week.