How do you know if you're proposal is too ambitious for a Ph.D.?

Adelaide9216

Question

4 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

How do you know if a research proposal for Ph.D. is too ambitious/not feasible in 5 years full-time? 

lacking of some specialized jargons in a specialized subfield as the target of research is a bad sign for a proposal to have the right scope within the prescribed timeframe.

I don't think you really need to know the answer to this during the application phase. However, it should be noted that most PhDs (my background of social sciences may play a role in what I'm about to say) are very specialized. Long reports about a very very specific topic, basically. So, it's safe to assume that what you want to do right now is probably too ambitious. But, as was said before, this is something you work out with your advisors. 

As others said, this is why PhD students (and postdocs, although to a lesser extent) have advisors and mentors. This is the type of thing that gets figured out with more experience.

In addition to not having to worry about all the details at the application stage, remember that your PhD project can be an evolving thing that changes over time with your interests and available resources. Beyond your advisor, you will likely have a tracking committee, thesis committee or whatever your institute will call them that meet with you regularly (often annually) and review your progress and make suggestions on altering your track if necessary. So it's not like you are writing your next 5 years in stone when you write a research proposal!