Hello everybody! This is my first post here, but I've been reading these forums for a while and have felt so validated by a lot of your experiences with grad school. I am graduating in April with a Bachelor's in Womens Studies & Social Work. I really want to get an MSW and work in gerontology after I graduate. So far I've only applied to UM and Wayne State and feel like I blew my chances with both. U of M requested an interview with me last Monday to ask about something I didn't elaborate on in my essay. I was so incredibly nervous, it's like all the things I rehearsed just totally fell out of my brain. And yesterday I got an email from WSU saying I need to edit my personal statement (which I worked so hard on) because I failed to cover something about the code of ethics. Has anyone who has applied at either had any of these issues (or just any grad program in general?) It's been a week since my interview with U of M and I haven't heard anything yet (that's just me being impatient), but its basically all I can think about and I keep thinking of  worst case scenarios of me not getting into any grad schools :'( wow, sorry I'm totally rambling, but has anyone experienced any of these things, and does anyone know how long it generally takes to hear back from a school after an interview? Thank you in advance and I hope all of your grad school journeys are going well so far!:) 

6 hours ago, danielle__renee said:

has anyone experienced any of these things, and does anyone know how long it generally takes to hear back from a school after an interview? 

Hm,  can't say I've heard of too many cases where an applicant was contacted and asked to rewrite an already submitted SOP, but I'd take it as a positive sign, because if they were going to simply reject you, they wouldn't need a revised statement, they'd just do it. As for the interview, interviewees are often terrible at assessing how they did; since you have no reference point for how others did or what the interviewer was expecting, I think it's best not to dwell, hard as it may be. Now, two thoughts: for any future interviews, you could and should always ask about the timeline post-interview when they ask you if you have any questions for them (usually happens toward the end of the interview). For this one, I would say if it'd been more than 10 days, you could simply email and ask about the timeline (if it were right after, you could email to say thank you and ask about the timeline, but now is a little late for that..). It's hard to give a general one-size-fits-all answer; these things can really vary according to circumstances. 

I don't have any experience with the process-I submitted my application on 12/3. I wanted to submit it by 12/1 for early decision, but I had a lagging recommendation, and I mistakenly thought they had to all be submitted before I could complete my application. I haven't heard anything back except that my application was time stamped. I think it's positive that you were asked to interview and you weren't rejected. What an anxious time; I hope we don't have to wait until Spring!