Contacting Faculty...any suggestions for making it less awkward?

So I realize this could go into the more general forums, but I wanted the perspective from some English ppl (I'm rhet/comp, but I'd love input regardless). Is anyone still contacting faculty at their programs of interest or has that ship sailed with application deadlines approaching? I've networked a little at conferences (and those convos went great), however I'm finding that emails and phone calls are so awkward. I recently had a phone conversation with a faculty member I'd be interested in working with and it was almost painful. Maybe because I'm an introvert? Maybe because I'd never met the person? Maybe because neither of us seemed to want to be the one to officially end the call even though my questions had clearly been answered? So I'd like to ask:

• Have you contacted people at the programs you are applying to...if so when and how?
  • Does anyone have any tips to make these conversations feel less forced and awkward?
  • Do you feel contacting programs actually helps with the application? Has anyone felt their contact with departments helped them either with applying or being accepted?

I have a few people I'd be interested to talk to, but with the deadline being a month or so away (and finals/holiday break approaching), I'm not sure whether my contact would be bothersome or welcomed. Any suggestions?

I have sent emails to maybe 6-7 people at different universities over the past year. I have only ever heard back from two, and both were from English universities. Only one was helpful because the person said they couldn't provide feedback but that they would be willing to read my proposal and that I could state in my application that they had shown an interest in working together. I haven't heard back from this person yet. Keep in mind that in English universities candidates enter directly into the dissertation phase so they probably seek a more well-formed project rather than what is generally advised for American unis. For American unis I'm not sure how useful previous contact is in regards to the application, seeing as how you would be in the program for 2-3 years before you even have a chance to start working on a project with this person and both you and their interests might change, not to mention that they might leave.

It is generally recommended to contact junior faculty rather than senior since they are more likely to respond and more likely to be available. However, their positions are also more precarious and they are more mobile, so it evens out.

Ultimately, my takeaways in terms of contacting faculty is to be be brief, give a VERY short overview of why you'd like to work with this person (i.e. how your work intersects with theirs) and leave it open for them to respond and ask for more information. Also, be wary of contacting them now because this is the end of the semester and they might be busier than usual.

All in all, maybe contacting can help you, maybe they read your email and your name rings a bell when they review apps, but you just can't know, though I guess it can't hurt (unless you demonstrate a lack of understanding for their work).

I have a related question. I've sent very brief emails to some faculty and have gotten very brief responses akin to "your work sounds interesting" and sometimes "I'll look out for our application." On the application itself then, can I mention that I spoke to this professor, even if the exchange was very cursory? The phrasing is usually "Names of any faculty members with whom you have consulted about admission"--does a brief email exchange qualify as "consulted about admission"?

1 hour ago, more.truly.more.strange said:

I have a related question. I've sent very brief emails to some faculty and have gotten very brief responses akin to "your work sounds interesting" and sometimes "I'll look out for our application." On the application itself then, can I mention that I spoke to this professor, even if the exchange was very cursory? The phrasing is usually "Names of any faculty members with whom you have consulted about admission"--does a brief email exchange qualify as "consulted about admission"?

I think it would be better to demonstrate in your SOP how your work would benefit from working with that particular individual, perhaps mentioning a specific course or two they've offered that would be of special interest to you. That's the approach I'm taking, anyway. I haven't seen an option to name faculty I've spoken to on any of my apps. Good luck!

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

I've had some productive conversations with senior faculty after sending them an email. I don't find that it matters too much if it's a senior faculty or not; I think the biggest concern is whether or not your interests are a good fit with theirs. My strategy has been to find the scholars I am genuinely hoping to work with, reach out by telling them a little about my work and my interests in their program (esp. by mentioning how their work on X area has influenced mine), then conclude with a request to talk further about their program if they have any availability. The times I've done this have resulted in a phone call with said faculty. It seems to work better when they get a sense that you're inquiring about the program, not just trying to make sure they know about you. 

Personally, I have found it encouraging to remember that this is also about me finding individuals that I actually want to work with--not just about convincing them to work with me. When a faculty responds positively, it reassures me that the program is a place where I want to work. That's not to say that I write off any who don't respond, just that it's reassuring to talk with those who do. 

That said, I did most of this in late October/early November. I do think the timing could change the dynamic some, since it's the end of semester and coming up on the holidays and many of the application deadlines, depending on your program. 

2 hours ago, more.truly.more.strange said:

So far I haven't had any apps ask who I've spoken with: although I did have one that requested that I list (and rank!) faculty I would want to work with as a required part :blink: I would say that if there is a question on the app I would mention it, but I would leave it out of an SOP unless you had a meaningful interaction with them (you never know who is reading the apps or what their relationship is with the person mentioned).

1 hour ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

My strategy has been to find the scholars I am genuinely hoping to work with, reach out by telling them a little about my work and my interests in their program (esp. by mentioning how their work on X area has influenced mine), then conclude with a request to talk further about their program if they have any availability. The times I've done this have resulted in a phone call with said faculty. It seems to work better when they get a sense that you're inquiring about the program, not just trying to make sure they know about you. 

Yeah I'm definitely thinking of reaching out for more program information (some websites are just not that informational), and would like to get a better idea of what resources there are for me before hitting that final submit. I know that my recent phone call (though awkward) provided me with a lot of information that I wouldn't have known otherwise (such as a faculty member I was interested in is leaving next year, and that there are some interdisciplinary groups that fit with my work). After realizing that the conversation was so helpful I thought about reaching out to a program which I will be close to during the holidays, but didn't know if it's too late to reach out (their deadline is still a month away...but... I'm still tempted).

22 hours ago, WildeThing said:

My takeaways in terms of contacting faculty is to be be brief, give a VERY short overview of why you'd like to work with this person (i.e. how your work intersects with theirs) and leave it open for them to respond and ask for more information. Also, be wary of contacting them now because this is the end of the semester and they might be busier than usual.

All in all, maybe contacting can help you, maybe they read your email and your name rings a bell when they review apps, but you just can't know, though I guess it can't hurt (unless you demonstrate a lack of understanding for their work).

See, I guess because I'm only applying to American programs, I haven't even mentioned that I would want to work with the faculty- I guess I just assumed it's implied? I usually say something along the lines of, "Hi, my name is ... I'm currently at x program and planning to apply to your program. I'm interested in.. (I usually say whatever research interests we have in common like multimodal composition, cultural rhetorics, ect ect).. and then say I'd like to ask a few questions if they have the time. 

So far I've received a response from every person I've contacted (although some responses have been slower than others). I know some friends though who have followed that same format and not gotten a response at all (perhaps some programs are friendlier than others?).  I suppose you are right though, worst case is that I get ignored, it probably won't hurt to reach out