Future conference paper in CV

Hi everyone. New here. Applying to eight graduate programs in the Humanities.

I am due to give a paper at an international conference this March. Since it will be my first, it could really improve my CV and accordingly, chances of admission. I am just not sure whether it is customary to put down a paper you've yet to deliver on your CV, and if so - how to phrase it exactly.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, id_ot said:

Hi everyone. New here. Applying to eight graduate programs in the Humanities.

I am due to give a paper at an international conference this March. Since it will be my first, it could really improve my CV and accordingly, chances of admission. I am just not sure whether it is customary to put down a paper you've yet to deliver on your CV, and if so - how to phrase it exactly.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Definitely put on your CV! I am unsure of what format you use citations but in APA format you would cite your conference something like this:

Author(s). (year and month conference will beheld). Title of paper. Paper accepted for presentation at x conference, City, State (or country in your case).

Example:

Doe, J. (2018, March). Improving mental health stigma in the media. Paper accepted for presentation at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA. 

If it's a confirmed acceptance for presentation, then I would just list it as any other conference paper. In my field, it's customary to include the date of the conference when listing conference presentations, so doing just that will be enough to signal to the reader that this is a future presentation. We generally format it like:

Lastname, Firstname et al. "Super cool work" The League of Extraordinary Researchers Meeting, March 2018.

Some people might write "to be presented March 2018" instead. In some formats, we specify the type of presentation (oral vs. poster and contributed vs. invited) but maybe not relevant in your case.

Note: In my field, there is no official/required format/style for bibliographies in CVs. There's also no style that is common across our entire field (every journal will use a different style) so we can pretty much add on whatever notes we want to a bibliography entry in our CVs.

17 hours ago, TakeruK said:

If it's a confirmed acceptance for presentation, then I would just list it as any other conference paper. In my field, it's customary to include the date of the conference when listing conference presentations, so doing just that will be enough to signal to the reader that this is a future presentation. We generally format it like:

Lastname, Firstname et al. "Super cool work" The League of Extraordinary Researchers Meeting, March 2018.

Some people might write "to be presented March 2018" instead. In some formats, we specify the type of presentation (oral vs. poster and contributed vs. invited) but maybe not relevant in your case.

Note: In my field, there is no official/required format/style for bibliographies in CVs. There's also no style that is common across our entire field (every journal will use a different style) so we can pretty much add on whatever notes we want to a bibliography entry in our CVs.

17 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Definitely put on your CV! I am unsure of what format you use citations but in APA format you would cite your conference something like this:

Author(s). (year and month conference will beheld). Title of paper. Paper accepted for presentation at x conference, City, State (or country in your case).

Example:

Doe, J. (2018, March). Improving mental health stigma in the media. Paper accepted for presentation at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA. 

Thanks for the quick responses! Very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...