Medical leave denied, what are my options?

underscore_frosty

Long story short, my application for medical leave for mental health reasons was denied (thankfully I had this semester "forgiven" in a sense).

I talked with my dad and after some back and forth he thinks I should drop out, take a year off, focus on work and my health, and then reevaluate my options next fall. Overall meaning delaying grad school by 2 years or so (assuming I don't start reapplying at this moment).

Talking with my mother yielded the same result although she thinks I should somehow appeal the decision (not sure on how to do this since I was denied based on a technicality). for leave because this was/is my first semester at the university. There's also a situation with my landlord where I've told him, in writing and with his written confirmation/agreement that I will be terminating the lease at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure if I can possibly back out of this if I need to.

Basically it seems like my only two options are to drop out and reevaluate my situation, or step up and go back to school. I'm leaning towards going back to school with the only issue being the landlord thing mentioned earlier. But, I'm not sure I'm ready to yet considering the circumstances as to why I left for the semester.

I know that ultimately it all depends on me and what I want (I am an adult as you know), but what are your opinions? Should I dropout and reevaluate things, or should I pack my bags and head back to school?

Many thanks in advance!

I'm really surprised you were declined. My university encouraged me to take leave when my circumstances were very similar to yours (bipolar I or schizoaffective depending on who you ask, with episodes of severe depression like what you've described. I am pretty healthy now though aside from my anxiety, and I feel very lucky that my meds work well enough to have a normal life). 

Take time off. Don't worry about grad school. Don't worry about anything other than your health. I know you've been battling this for a while, so you know just as well as anyone how hard it is to work when you're unwell. You get one shot at this PhD, and it's best to do it when you're well, even if it means spacing things out. 

You know your situation better than anyone, though. The lease will work out (subletting if needed). Personally, I look back on my undergrad and wish I had taken time off sooner or spent time working on treating my illness. It all worked out in the end, but I was pigheaded and there are small things that still sting, like my thesis not being nearly as comprehensive as I would have liked. I would have changed things if I could. 

If you feel up to it, let us know what you end up deciding. I'm really hoping that everything works out for the best for you. 

36 minutes ago, underscore_frosty said:

Long story short, my application for medical leave for mental health reasons was denied (thankfully I had this semester "forgiven" in a sense).

I talked with my dad and after some back and forth he thinks I should drop out, take a year off, focus on work and my health, and then reevaluate my options next fall. Overall meaning delaying grad school by 2 years or so (assuming I don't start reapplying at this moment).

Talking with my mother yielded the same result although she thinks I should somehow appeal the decision (not sure on how to do this since I was denied based on a technicality). for leave because this was/is my first semester at the university. There's also a situation with my landlord where I've told him, in writing and with his written confirmation/agreement that I will be terminating the lease at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure if I can possibly back out of this if I need to.

Basically it seems like my only two options are to drop out and reevaluate my situation, or step up and go back to school. I'm leaning towards going back to school with the only issue being the landlord thing mentioned earlier. But, I'm not sure I'm ready to yet considering the circumstances as to why I left for the semester.

I know that ultimately it all depends on me and what I want (I am an adult as you know), but what are your opinions? Should I dropout and reevaluate things, or should I pack my bags and head back to school?

Many thanks in advance!

I am also surprised that your school denied your leave application, given that you should have supplemented supporting documents. I agree with your mum that you should appeal the decision. Have you spoken to the disability office? Perhaps they can help you with the appeal. If you cannot appeal the outcome, then you will need to come to terms with a drop out. It may seem like a bad idea to delay grad school by 2 years, but you are not making any good progress either if your health is compromised. I would say that health is the number one priority no matter what. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does your university only allow leaves for medical reasons? They don't just have a general leave of absence that could be for any medical or non-medical reason?

If you don't feel ready to go back I agree with your dad - if they don't allow you to take a leave, then I'd drop out and reevaluate your options when you feel better. Talk to your advisor and other professors. But you have to put your health first.

Edited by juilletmercredi

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2017 at 12:20 AM, Hope.for.the.best said:

I am also surprised that your school denied your leave application, given that you should have supplemented supporting documents. I agree with your mum that you should appeal the decision. Have you spoken to the disability office? Perhaps they can help you with the appeal.

I second this. My disability office said they are my voice in situations like these. They are paid to ensure you have what you need to succeed. There are small-prints, of course. Like you need to be registered with the office and when you initially register, you need to give documentation (in my university's case).

• 1 month later...