Disadvantages to registering with the disabilities office

lemma

I've had episodic health issues, some of which have been serious and lifelong. I am not in the throes of the severe symptoms anymore, and am doing what I can to avoid relapse (I have been successful at this). However, I did want to register with the disabilities office: if I relapse I will need accommodations and won't be able to register while unwell, and there are a few accommodations that would be very helpful in reducing the risk of relapse. Are there any hidden downsides to registering? I don't want to face discrimination for having a disability registered, but I also want safeguards in place. 

I have not had this experience myself. But from talking with and advocating for students who have, it seems like most schools are good at keeping your information confidential. The students tell me the main downsides are that some schools require a ton of documentation that might not be easy to get and the hardship of going through the process. If your main concern is confidentiality, it could help you to talk to the disability office without disclosing anything to find out what your profs or TAs might know and how to disclose just enough to get help without giving up your privacy. 

57 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

I have not had this experience myself. But from talking with and advocating for students who have, it seems like most schools are good at keeping your information confidential. The students tell me the main downsides are that some schools require a ton of documentation that might not be easy to get and the hardship of going through the process. If your main concern is confidentiality, it could help you to talk to the disability office without disclosing anything to find out what your profs or TAs might know and how to disclose just enough to get help without giving up your privacy. 

Documentation won't be the issue - around diagnosis I spent months of my life in hospital for this, so I have a lot of paperwork in order. Confidentiality is my concern, and also how people perceive students with disabilities. I called the disability office and they said only accommodations will be shared with my advisors and professors (rather than a diagnosis). 

My concern is that my professors may think I'm less capable, or that I'm exploiting the system (I'm not). I would also not want to walk through the specifics of my health with professors. Part of me is considering not even registering to avoid stigma, but that would not be in my best interests. Accommodations were necessary during my undergrad, and though I have reason to be optimistic this time around, if things return to how they were, I will need assistance. 

My understanding is that if you experience any stigma from your professors or TAs that the disability office is equipped to intervene on your behalf.  I'm going to guess that most professors and TAs don't want to make a student feel uncomfortable or singled out and would encourage students who need accommodations to come to office hours or email them about their needs.

From the faculty side, we don't talk amongst ourselves about specific students, and we don't generally ask about the whys. 

I do generally set aside some time to sit down with each student that has accommodations and make sure that we're on the same page about what they need from me. 

I have a good many students who notify me of accommodations they may need. We talk about what they might need, and how they will let me know, and we schedule time to check in during the semester. 

Thanks everyone for the help. There are quite a few really useful suggestions here - based on these and my own research, I will be registering. In the past I've been quite stubborn about avoiding accommodations where possible, even despite the urging of doctors. I'm not too used to having these conversations with professors or managers, so I'm just hoping they'll continue to treat me how they already do. 

On 12/16/2017 at 1:41 AM, TakeruK said:

Does the office immediately tell all of your advisors and instructors once they receive documentation? Or will they only confirm accomodations after you request them? Can you request that it be the latter?

Find out about this. 

As an instructor, I only get notified when a student requests the accommodation in my class. I don't even know what the issue is, I just received the request for accommodation. 

• 1 month later...

To follow up, I did register and although I was anxious the officer taking my interview was nothing but warm and supportive. It was useful not only to get the accommodations, but he ran me through the contingency plans if I couldn't take exams or attend class for extended periods. I'm glad I registered.