Contacting POI after applications are in?

sideeye_emoji

Sorry in advance if this is a silly question! When I was planning to visit my top choice department this fall, I contacted my POI there (let's call him professor A) asking if he'd be willing to meet. He responded immediately, saying he was on leave overseas for the semester, but was very enthusiastic about my research, said he was accepting new advisees, and encouraged me to apply. I thought it went fine, though I wish I'd asked for a Skype meeting or something. Anyway, when I visited the department I met with another professor there who I thought would be a good fit as well, but by the end of the meeting I felt less sure. And anyway, I know Prof. A would probably be the best adviser as our research aligns almost perfectly.

Here's my question-- now that I've applied to the first program, is it at all appropriate to email Prof. A. to let him know I did decide to apply? We work in a somewhat unusual geographic area and I would imagine he could pull for a potential advisee if he thought the research was worthy.

I know I should have reached out again earlier! (I've been slapdash about the process, admittedly.) Anyway, tl;dr... I've heard of people emailing POIs after they're on the waitlist to reassert their interest in a program; do people ever email after applications are sent out? 

9 minutes ago, sideeye_emoji said:

tl;dr... I've heard of people emailing POIs after they're on the waitlist to reassert their interest in a program; do people ever email after applications are sent out? 

Short answer: yes.

I did this for 5 of the 7 programs I applied to. I had good phone conversations with professors at 4 of these programs and a long email exchange with the DGS at another, so I sent them each an email thanking them for their time and letting them know I chose to apply/my app was submitted. I did not do this for the last two programs because they do not encourage communication with professors before an offer has been made.

It's not necessary, but it can be a nice thing to do if you've made a connection with a prof.

I would suggest emailing the professors at each school (if you can) after submission to show that you're still interested in their program. And that will also remind them that they've talked to you and that might help your application a little too. It wouldn't hurt to email professors just to keep in touch about the process. I talked to my current advisor at least 3 times after I applied (admittedly it was her who initiated contact two of the times...mostly to tell me not to accept another school until I talked to her). 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't. I assume they are busy enough as it is, and I don't feel like it is going to add anything to the 'relationship' I have with them. If I am serious about applying I end our email conversation by informing them I am ready to apply. 

I did to all but 2 ( since the deadline was 1 Jan) to let them know my application was in and to show that I cared enough beyond our conversations to make an effort to inform them. Whether it helps, I’m not sure but it doesn’t hurt.  It yeah to echo @GreenEyedTrombonist And @bioarch_fan it puts your heir mind when reviewing to at least keep an eye out for it.