Canadian Masters in English Lit

I’m waiting with you! Applied to UofT, McGIll, York, and Western for PhD in early modern. Am mostly sweating over Toronto and Western for what I want to work on. My fingers are sore from hitting refresh, but I don’t *really* expect to hear anything until the end of the month. It hurts to wait!

@RainDays @WhatIsSleep re: McGill, I'm going to give it until the end of the month until I inquire about application status. From years past, it looks like PhD/MA acceptances are scattered somewhere between last week of February to early April (at the latest). Patience is a virtue that I do not have right now, ha ha.

Edited by writethebeats

2 hours ago, WhatIsSleep said:

Okay, folks. Update from U of T English Dept.:

"The Department of English at the University of Toronto is currently in the process of assessing your PhD application. Once we have made admission decisions we will be sending out first offers in the week of February 26 to March 2 or soon thereafter" 

Thanks for this! Maybe we can use this info to construct a broad timeline of the other school notifications (i.e. tail-end of the month into early March)?

I’m really not expecting anything from McGill or Ontario until that Feb 26-Mar 2 week. 

I have an acceptance from MUN and Warwick (but the U.K. has a different process and often has rolling admissions, so Warwick doesn’t really help for our waiting :)). 

I’m also waiting on Dalhousie. So, looks like the Praries are first out of the gate, along with MUN. And we’re all waiting on the west coast and central/east. Oh! And I saw a couple of U of A PhD notifications on the board a week or two ago. 

Edited by WhatIsSleep

30 minutes ago, TheKingofEngland said:

If anyone here has applied to them, I have received acceptances from the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Calgary. I'm waiting on the University of Victoria and, like many of you, UBC.

Congratulations on those! ? Good luck with your other applications. 

I contacted the DGS for UBC and they replied: "I'm in the midst of contacting applicants now: you should hear from me next week". So I don't know if that means that they updated all their accepted applicants now and I'm being rejected next week or what... But at least I'll hear either way by next week! Good luck everyone!

18 hours ago, canadianchart said:

I contacted the DGS for UBC and they replied: "I'm in the midst of contacting applicants now: you should hear from me next week". So I don't know if that means that they updated all their accepted applicants now and I'm being rejected next week or what... But at least I'll hear either way by next week! Good luck everyone!

Oh, man. That reply would have me at my wits end! I hope you get in -- good luck!

45 minutes ago, writethebeats said:

Anyone going to claim the York acceptances?

Yep! Happy to say I was accepted today. That's 4 down, 5 to go.Didn't expect to hear anything so soon, so was excited to open that email. :) Still sweating over U of T, though. HOW do students pay rent in Toronto???? Gah! 

@WhatIsSleep Congratulations! You are killing it on the acceptances!

Like Vancouver, the secret to living in Toronto is a ) being far outside the "city" limits  b ) finding a space the size of a Harry Potter's closet c ) having multiple roommates -- usually all three in conjunction!

27 minutes ago, TheKingofEngland said:

I emailed UBC and was told that it was a no for me. Best of luck to the rest of you there!

Who was it that you emailed? Sandra Tomc?

Edited by writethebeats

Emailed McGill about my application (as I've been a ball of stress) and this was the response:

"The Review Committee are in the process of finalizing the MA applications. You should hear from us by the end of the week."

Eeeeeeek!

Edited by writethebeats

2 hours ago, writethebeats said:

Emailed McGill about my application (as I've been a ball of stress) and this was the response:

"The Review Committee are in the process of finalizing the MA applications. You should hear from us by the end of the week."

Eeeeeeek!

OMG!!!!! Good luck!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, writethebeats said:

Eeeeeeek!

Did they say anything about phD? Also was it Maria Vasile that responded to you? I can't seem to get anyone there to answer my emails! Lol. 

6 minutes ago, RainDays said:

Did they say anything about phD? Also was it Maria Vasile that responded to you? I can't seem to get anyone there to answer my emails! Lol. 

Nothing about PhD, but yes, it was Maria. She replied within about 30 minutes! 

I can't speak to the other schools in this thread, but I know that U of T isn't sending out acceptances for a fews weeks, and they also have a strict quota on international students per cohort in the PhD program. Based on the people I've talked to and the numbers they've mentioned, my guess is a maximum of three.