Canadian Masters in English Lit

4 minutes ago, DatGuy said:

Good good. Are you a super cultural studies person/type? Do you like to think about the intersections about making art and producing scholarship? If so, chances are you'll like them. Both are quite popular professors in the department, though I find Alanna Thain's work/class format in particular to be on the more unorthodox of things in academia. Haven't taken classes with either since I'm a different subfield, but I have been here for both my undergraduate and masters degrees, so you can trust what I'm saying. :)

I totally am! I applied for the cultural studies stream and my thesis revolves around media/contemporary art! I'm super into research creation too! Can I ask how you like the program so far? Honestly I'm blown away by the wide range of courses offered and the cool things so many profs are into. I'm at UVic, and its a bit of a sleepy department haha. 

3 minutes ago, RainDays said:

I totally am! I applied for the cultural studies stream and my thesis revolves around media/contemporary art! I'm super into research creation too! Can I ask how you like the program so far? Honestly I'm blown away by the wide range of courses offered and the cool things so many profs are into. I'm at UVic, and its a bit of a sleepy department haha. 

The program is pretty good, I think, but I think what matters in grad school is less the program and the specific people you work with. If you can find two to three professors you gel well with, then you will thrive and have a great time. And yeah, I'm sure McGill's a lot better in terms of course variety than many other schools, but I do find myself being from that segment of the grad population that complains about the course selection/availability nonetheless! :P 

And I like the program quite a lot, but I've also been here five years and was able to really embed myself into the department right at the start of the program, which helps. This having been said— and this is not a biased statement— but McGill's graduate program is generally better for students by virtue of the fact that it is MUCH smaller than UofT's. I've heard really bad things about their graduate program and about supervisors not having time for PhD students, let alone MAs. This is something to know before you go there. A friend of mine did her MA at McGill, and went to UofT for her PhD. She was back at McGill for her PhD a year later after being frustrated with the program at UofT.

4 minutes ago, DatGuy said:

The program is pretty good, I think, but I think what matters in grad school is less the program and the specific people you work with. If you can find two to three professors you gel well with, then you will thrive and have a great time. And yeah, I'm sure McGill's a lot better in terms of course variety than many other schools, but I do find myself being from that segment of the grad population that complains about the course selection/availability nonetheless! :P 

And I like the program quite a lot, but I've also been here five years and was able to really embed myself into the department right at the start of the program, which helps. This having been said— and this is not a biased statement— but McGill's graduate program is generally better for students by virtue of the fact that it is MUCH smaller than UofT's. I've heard really bad things about their graduate program and about supervisors not having time for PhD students, let alone MAs. This is something to know before you go there. A friend of mine did her MA at McGill, and went to UofT for her PhD. She was back at McGill for her PhD a year later after being frustrated with the program at UofT.

I've heard similar things. My grad advisor tried to push me into applying for U of T, but I really wanted a more tight-knit feel with lots of time to spend with profs. Plus U of T's program seems a bit too conservative for me! 

I don't mean to hijack this conversation, but I'm pretty sure I am getting shut out this year and am thinking quickly about aiming to go for an MA next year if there are decent programs still taking applications. I saw Concordia is -- do you guys know anything about their English dept, reputation (overall or the English department specifically), and if other Canadian places may be as well? 

3 hours ago, automatic said:

I don't mean to hijack this conversation, but I'm pretty sure I am getting shut out this year and am thinking quickly about aiming to go for an MA next year if there are decent programs still taking applications. I saw Concordia is -- do you guys know anything about their English dept, reputation (overall or the English department specifically), and if other Canadian places may be as well? 

I applied to and got into Concordia's creative writing english MA a couple years ago. Concordia english is, to my knowledge, an easier school to get into. They have some FABULOUS professors - Sina Queyras especially. But be wary - their reputation is down the drain right now. Google "concordia english sexual misconduct". You'll see why :(

3 hours ago, automatic said:

RainDays is right about their departmental reputation in that respect. Concordia's English department is alright, though they are much more known for Creative Writing rather than English studies itself. This having been said, it is precisely the creative writing faculty that are at the centre of the sexual misconduct cases, so bear that in mind too!

1 hour ago, RainDays said:

emailed McGill English and was informed PhD applicants will know results, if they haven't already, by the end of next week. 

Same for MA applications? I don’t think my little heart can take much more waiting!

7 hours ago, BlessMeWithSnow said:

Anyone else recieve an email regarding graduate coursework from U of Toronto? Not an acceptace email, something generic about 2018 courses offered

Yes! So bizarre...