Fellowships REQUIRED?

psych-grad

Last year, I started preparing for grad school. I completed my application to Georgia Tech's psychology PhD just now, only to see at the end of the application that I am required to list fellowships to which I've applied. What? I have not applied for any fellowships! Do they require fellowships for me to be considered an applicant? Or is there something I am totally missing? Please help ASAP.

Edited by psych-grad

Its probably not that its required to be considered but that 1) it looks good on an applicant to have put out the effort and 2) some fellowships require budgeting and departments need time in advance to help set up channels with the fundng source.

If you had not applied to any fellowships and the field is a required field for the application form, then just write "Not applicable" or "I did not apply this year." No one can really say whether they will hold it against you, but probably not. 

However, it's pretty common for current grad students to be required to apply to fellowships each year. But that's something to worry about next year!