Merit Aid for MSW Programs

BigSmithster

Financing your MSW is a popular subject here, so hoping to crowdsource thoughts:

What are the programs that offer the most merit aid that is not tied to need?

FAFSA has determined that I do not qualify for any grant based need/scholarships, and while I was admitted to Smith, their merit aid is tied to need. I believe I have a strong professional and academic background to get merit-based scholarships.

I am not in the hole financially, thank goodness, but I only make 55k/year and have little savings. Taking out loans upwards of 100k+ for an MSW is terrifying.

State schools for in-state tuition aren't a great option as I live in DC and we don't have a public MSW program/there is no tuition reciprocity for other programs in nearby states.

Other advice? Thanks in advance!

FAFSA has determined that I do not qualify for any grant based need/scholarships

FAFSA is for government aid. Generally speaking, there is no grant-based need/scholarships from the government for graduate school.

I am not in the hole financially, thank goodness, but I only make 55k/year and have little savings.

I would think about your professional goals. 55k/year is more than most social workers make. By returning for a full-time program, you're not likely to end the program with a job that pays substantially more. Also, not only do you have to pay for the MSW program, but you're actually giving up 110k+ in wages you could be making, experience you could be gaining, not to mention retirement contributions/social security contributions.

What are the programs that offer the most merit aid that is not tied to need?

I think some of the schools that give the most merit aid are Case Western, UChicago, UMich, and WUSTL.

If your current job will work with your on field placements, I would consider looking at USC or Columbia's online MSWs. Even with paying tuition to these programs, the total "cost" to you (including the $110k you could have made, health insurance would have to pay in a full-time program) is probably less than even getting a full-ride to a full-time program.