Help! Question about SSA Program at the U of Chicago

sschoenrock

I was recently talking to a graduate from the SSA program at the University of Chicago, and she was highly critical of the program. In summary, she thought that the non-clinical classes were ineffective and that the school in general barley addressed systemic racism and created a culture of social workers with a white savior complex. I was wondering if other's have opinions on the program?

I'm a recent alum who did the social administration path. The degree got me a great job I definitely would not have had otherwise and got me access to amazing resources at the university, none of which had anything to do with SSA itself.

To be fair, others I've talked to (such as a colleague with a PhD who returned to another of the US news top 3 for an MSW), these problems seem to be common across MSW programs. In other words, I'm not sure to what extent issues at SSA are unique to SSA or could be avoided by going to other MSW programs.

To give another example, at admitted students day at UNC, the PhD student they put in charge of the macro presentation could not describe what macro was at all. And several of the other admitted students had a lively discussion on what they saw as the underappreciated magical properties of healing crystals.

Even outside of social work, many graduate programs are shocking ineffective and full of BS. My advice is to be pragmatic about what you want and what degree will help you get there. Part of that is the signaling (what does the degree mean to potential employers in your intended field) and part of it is substance (about half of which is coursework, and about half of which is field placement). 

Hi,

I'm here now and peoples reactions to the program, courses and individual professors are extremely varied. I agree with The Crow that this issue is not unique to SSA, I've heard similar things about other programs.  I am admin and I find the non clinical coursework very valuable, and see the clinical work I've seen so far as more problematic in regards to race. Honestly clinical people tend to hate admin courses and vice versa- not to say issues aren't real, but they're very fluid. 

If you want to talk about it more I'm open.

I wonder if some of the dissatisfaction is that social workers, by nature, are change agents. Our education encourages us to critique systems and agencies. So, it stands to reason that we would critique the programs and universities to which we belong. A business major, for example, is probably less likely to question his/her master's program because the goal is to graduate and make money.

I'm not saying that problems and concerns aren't legitimate. I certainly have many issues with my bachelor's program, but I do think at least some of it has to do with the kind of people attracted to this work.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to SSA from 2013-15. As a woman of color I experienced constant microaggressions from staff, faculty, and students. That being said -- having my degree from SSA opened SO many doors for me and I truly feel I had the best quality professors. Two of my mentees are currently in the program and from my perspective they have made some strides in this area - so much so that I am applying to the Ph.D program. 

• 1 month later...